Concerned Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisco87

Reaction score
So I just racked my very first batch of cider from my primary (bucket) so my secondary (better bottle). I have a few questions.
1. Is it normal for the cider to look (as SWMBO says) like a urinary tract infection a.k.a. like brownish orange juice?
2. I checked the SG and it is coming up at 1.020 where it was 1.070 when I first started. Is that a good number to be at since it's only been going for a few days (about 5 or 6)?
3. The reason I racked it is the yeast is very mellow right now. It's bubbling a little bit but not much. I figured I'd be good since I used some nutrient right out of the gate. Is it normal for the cider to barely be bubbling even after only 5 or 6 days?
-Note about the bubbling and SG -- I added 3 lbs of table sugar right off the bat. That 1.070 included the table sugar (I forgot to take it of just the juice).

One last thing...it tastes GREAT right now. Nice and sweet, carbonated, with alittle bit of alcoholic bite.

You're fine!

I would have left it in the primary for about a month, and then I would have racked it, but it's all relative.

RDWHAHB, you are doing just fine

So I didn't harm it at all racking it? There were just a lot of fruit flies buzzing around and a bungee corded T-shirt covering the top just made me nervous. So basically, just leave it in the closet and wait until it's clearing it up?

Next time start it in the Better Bottle and you wont have to worry about racking it until you put it in the bottling bucket. You do not have to move cider to a secondary fermenter. Its fine for a couple of months on the lees.

That's what I am going to do next time around. This is my very first batch and I am definitely learning as I am going. My only real concern right now is my final ABV. I am still a little confused about how determining it really works.

So, basically, if I want a cider do not add any more sugar and it will keep the apple flavor with an ABV around 6 or 7? But if I want a higher ABV, I add more sugar and it'll have little apple flavor and taste more like wine, right?

Back