Concerned About my Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt480

Reaction score
So here's the gist of my issue, I tested my initial gravity unfortunately because I am a rookie a week after it was fermenting and hit 1.04. Everything is good, but my question is this, the final gravity is 1.01...honestly that's like water is it not?

I tried a sample and it literally tastes like alcoholic water. Granted this recipe is supposed to mimic 4peaks Sunbru? <---My eyes perked up.

Where did I go wrong - first, is this normal for Kolsch to taste like booze water :tank: or after time will a flavor evolve? The only issue I can think of is I ended up with a bit too much water in my primary, closer to 6 gallons. Does that explain the watered down flavor and what? Also, is it normal Kolsch has no dry hopping? I literally boiled, mild hops and then ferment...no more activity

Any guidance is appreciated. This is a new batch for me. PS - for those of you following my previous threads about my Lager, it's amazing. Seriously delicious.

Koelsch is never dry hopped, and 1.010 is a good finishing gravity for it. Now lager it for 2-6 weeks and it should turn out like a light, crisp, slightly grainy pint (or Stange) of goodness.

As Arcane said, don't worry! A kolsch is light crisp and never hoppy!

I'm a little concerned about "boozy"- that leads me to believe the fermentation temperature was too high- but it's important now to give it the cold conditioning it needs. It should "clean up" a lot and crisp up quite a bit.

Excellent I figured as much with the hops, I enjoy Kolsch but wasn't sure. I'll just let it sit and clear up up then. Thanks guys! Awesome input.

As Arcane said, don't worry! A kolsch is light crisp and never hoppy!

I'm a little concerned about "boozy"- that leads me to believe the fermentation temperature was too high- but it's important now to give it the cold conditioning it needs. It should "clean up" a lot and crisp up quite a bit.

By boozy I would say stronger then normal perhaps? It wasn't like in your face but I could taste the alcohol more then the Lager probably because the lager had more flavor.

Latest posts

Back