Complete defeat on a double batch (w/pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NogLager

Reaction score
Infection most likely. I've done 6 batches and it's been smooth sailing until now. They've only been in the bottle 2 weeks and they started exploding. So, I opened up the remaining time-bombs to salvage the bottles. I think it's time to switch to Iodophor and review my sanitizing methods. I've been using bleach.

Brewed 12/3
Secondary 12/13
Bottled 1/3
Exploding faaaaailures around 1/17

The lost batches were Doppelbock & Oktoberfest. They both tasted somewhat sour and quite funky. I gave them both a sip and spit.

Graveyard :(

BeerFail.jpg

I wasted time, money and beer. Shouldn't that be illegal?

bummer man... consider starsan too, they're both a huge improvement over bleach IMHO. although a sad sight, that photo is pretty cool.

Aren't Blue Moon bottles twist tops? I was always told to use pop tops :mug:

Star-san or Iodophor... I've yet to make a decision, but I am changing from bleach.

Oh man.
:(
Though I've been luck to have avoided such misadventures, I feel your pain.

...All you can do is regroup and start boiling water again.

I am guess this is after you poped all the tops? Cause if these are blowing there tops and not blowing out the bottoms that is extreamly odd. Cool pic though, you have my sympathy.

I dont use either Star-san or Iodophor. Use bleach alternatives and green clensing products. Wash everything is water so hot you think twice about touching it. So I am no help on chooseing a sanitizer, just here to morn with you.

Drink them in good health

Wow, thats a depressing sight. I know how you feel, had to dump one of my batches recently. After that though, switched to Iodophor from bleach and has been going good so far(knock on wood) :mug:

RIP, beer. RIP.

Yeah, that pic was after I popped the rest of those bottle-bombs. The ones that exploded blew out the bottom.

I'm going with an ale for my next batch. I don't want to deal with lagers for a while, lol.

That's about the worst mess I have seen on here...and that's saying something. I have the utmost respect for you to fess up to your mistake and share the pictures. Douse everything in Starsan to get rid of the bacteria and bleach and move on. You'll be a better brewer for it in the long run.

Haha, thanks guys. I'm listing this batch under "Learning Experience" :eek:

I'm having a glass of Jameson 12 year to mourn the loss, reflect, and plan for the next batch.

Haha, thanks guys. I'm listing this batch under "Learning Experience" :eek:

I'm having a glass of Jameson 12 year to mourn the loss, reflect, and plan for the next batch.

Oh man got out the jameson, and the good stuff none the less, I did that when my last girl friend left me. Lets hope you get this figure out, you liver might not take to much learning.

This is why it's too bad that home distillation is illegal in the US, throw that in a still, cook out the alcohol and have some fine hooch.at least out of it.

2 years ago, my uncle brought me a .375 L bottle of some really rare, once very 5 years, liquor they make at some distillery in Germany, they basically take their best beer, and distill it and age it, they make only like 500L of this stuff every 5 years and it's quite good. I wish like hell I'd paid more attention to it and kept the bottle so I could give a better account.

Back