Commercial Saison thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Alternate thread title: Why is no one only into Saisons?

I was typing this up the other day for a PM to someone who was interested in exploring the vast expanse that is farmhouse ales and was looking for some recommendations on worthwhile ones to seek out. I've seen a handful of topics floating around where people have been curious as to what hallmarks make the style and or what to look for in a farmhouse ale, so I thought I'd start a thread. I'm always looking for new saisons to try as well, so I'm hoping I'll get some leads from here. I should note that I am not affiliated with any of these breweries. Some of the little trivia may not be entirely accurate either as its off the top of my head.

There are a handful of breweries that specialize in farmhouse ales and the majority of their stuff is world class. I just picked whichever ones stood out to me from their other offerings. There's also a number of ones that I know of that Im sure are amazing, but I personally havent managed to try yet

In broad terms, I generally think of saisons in 3 categories: traditional Belgian style, modern Americanized, and then the ones that use new mixed fermentation techniques (but on purpose, as opposed to the original farmhouse ales that would usually get inoculated with microbes floating around the brewery). Here's some that are definitely worth seeking out in my humble opinion:

=====TRADITIONAL=====

Saison Dupont (aka Vieille Provision) - this would definitely be THE introduction to the style. Its the quintessential saison and basically the template the whole modern wave of saisons started from. Funky, peppery nose, bit of lemony hay in the taste, fluffy carbonation with a crisp bite after each sip. classic

Foret / Brasserie Dupont - this is another saison from Dupont that is made with all organic ingredients. Im not sure what else differentiates it from their classic flagship, but I actually will reach for a bottle of this over Dupont if I ever see it on the shelf. Bit more tangy than Dupont IMO

Printemps / Fantome - or any of their offerings really (apart from some chocolate spiced and coffee ones Ive seen). Fantome has a very unique signature yeast that gives off the funkiest nose of a non-sour/brett beer Ive ever encountered. Ive read that they are never made the exact same way twice which embodies the whole spirit of the style (and also makes me buy them more often). All theirs are saisons at 8% and most are named after one of the seasons

Saison D'Epeautre / Brasserie de Blaugies - I had this one more recently and wanted to try it because it is one of the few that uses an adjunct called spelt which gives it a hint of nutty flavor. Havent been able to get my hands on any to brew with though.

=====AMERICAN=====

Hennepin - Ommegang, this is like the Saison Dupont of American Saisons. If I remember right it was the first stateside saison and it was one of my early favorites. Its brewed with grains of paradise, coriander, ginger, and orange peel. I dont have a very discerning palate, but I swear I can get notes of every one of those if I concentrate

Tank 7 - Boulevard Brewing, this shouldnt be hard to get where you are. Tank 7 is up there with Hennepin on being one of the trailblazers of the American saison wave. Its definitely has more of a spicy bite to it than Hennepin, which comes off as sweeter. I'm guessing mostly because its not brewed with spices like Hennepin

Apex Predator / Off Color Brewing - this is actually hands down my favorite beer right now. I always keep it on stock to help cheer me up after a crappy day at work. Its definitely more geared towards the fruity side of saisons and even has some bubblegum and clove going on. Love it. From researching, I'm pretty sure its made with 566 yeast which would make sense to me. I like to use this in blends due to its amount of sweet fruity flavor it imparts. If anyone knows for sure, speak up

Lomaland / Modern Times - I can't get this stuff where I live but I managed to get a 4 pack recently and its great. Its like right in the middle in terms of yeast character and is just very balanced. Not sure if you know but Michael Tonsmeire (aka the mad fermentationist) designed all the year-round recipes for modern times. It was cool seeing the recipe tweaks on his blog. Its made with 95% Dupont yeast and 5% Westmalle in order to combat attenuation issues. Pretty interesting choice as opposed to the usual 3711 blend

Birra / Prairie Artisan ales - this one reminds me of Apex predator from the hint of bubblegum I get. Its one of the few non-wild saisons from these guys. Its definitely got some kind of fruit in there, but finishes super dry like a saison should

Saison du Buff / Stone/Victory/DogfishHead, this one may not be for everyone but its worth trying if you like herbs. Its got sage thyme and rosemary and you can definitely tell.

Cellar Door / Stillwater Artisan Ales - this one is also herbed but with a very delicate hand. The white sage they use is barely noticeable and lends a great finishing taste to go with the crisp carbonation

=====MIXED=====
This is were stuff gets crazy, and the prices sometimes too. They usually cost a pretty penny so I like to be sure dropping ~$20 on a beer is going to be worth it.

Saison Brett / Boulevard - this is Boulevard's tank 7 aged in a barrel with brett. It gets limited released each year and goes pretty fast. Its one of the first brett'd saisons we saw in the states and is a classic example of that tart breathtaking crisp flavor you can get using brett. No funkiness that I can detect.

Sofie / Goose Island - I was obsessed with this beer for a while too. Its like the missing link between champagne and beer. I did some research trying to brew something like it and found out that its actually a blend. 80% this years Sofie blended with 20% Barrel Aged Sofie. They have brett in the barrels so it just has that hint of wild character. No funk, just the nice tangy zip

Love Buzz Saison / Anchorage Brewing - this was a white whale of sorts for me for a long time. I remember when I first started liking saisons I saw it at the #1 spot on beeradvocate for the style. Its barrel aged in pinot noir barrels with brett and rose hips. Very unique and just perfectly executed. Not nearly as funky as I figured when I saw reviews of it. I now buy every single anchorage beer I see on the shelves after tasting this

Arctic Saison / Grassroots Brewing/Hill Farmstead - this is a series of collaborations Hill Farmstead does with other breweries. They brewed it with Anchorage and really showcases the mastery both have over their brett yeast character. Very clean for a brett'd beer.

Bam Biere / Jolly Pumpkin - to me, this beer is probably the most faithful to the original saisons, and one of the best beers I've had. Its only like 4% or something, and is made with Jolly Pumpkin's proprietary blend of bugs (making it a great candidate for harvesting dregs). Not that sour compared to their other beers. Its just so, so perfectly made. I got it once when I was in Columbus on business and 've been obsessed with trying to find another. They also make a Bam Noir and Weizen Bam that I NEED to try.

Saison Rue / The Bruery - these guys make a lot of wild beers and this one is easily my favorite I've tried. Its dark for a saison but the wild yeast character cuts right through the maltiness from the rye. This one's a bit funky and leathery but not overly so.

Seizon Bretta / Logsdon Farmhouse Ales - this was another brett saison I was eager to try and it didnt disappoint. Its carbonated using pear juice apparently, which goes well with the tart brettyness. Similar to Saison Brett from Boulevard to my taste buds.

Midnight Brett / Allagash - This is one of the few saisons made by a brewery that makes only belgian style beers. Its also one of the only black saisons Ive tried that I thought were balanced enough. Usually the roast overpowers just about all the wonderful yeast character

'Merica - Prairie Artisan Ales, to me, this showcases what saison yeast can do. Most saisons are pretty simple recipe wise. But this is actually a SMaSH using Nelson Sauvin and pilsner malt. They dont use a single yeast though, as its got various brett strains in it. You'd never guess it from a blind taste test

Eliza5beth / Prairie Artisan Ales - yeah thats NOT a typo. This is a wild saison aged on apricots from Prairie. Any of their 16oz farmhouse ales are great, but this one stood out to me with its uniqueness. SWMBO liked it so much I had to step up some of the dregs to start a souring project with a saison for her.

Surette / Crooked Stave - these guys are similar to Jolly Pumpkin in that its all about wild ales. The majority of them are sours but they've done a few 100% bretts too. There's a few variations of Surette, but I like the original one the best. Its just got such a classic rustic bite to it. Feel like I can almost hear that windmill creaking away on the label.

Funkatronic Brett IPA / Shady Oak Barrelhouse - I had this one most recently and just had to include it in case you wanted to fully experience what people are talking about when they refer to "funk" in wild beers. Its definitely more saison than IPA and has the funkiest nose on any beer I've tried. Doesn't come through in the taste as much as Fantome, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am. I have been on a saison binge since I first had an apex predator this past spring. Plus every batch this summer has been using the same packet of Belle Saison yeast. Unfortunately, the last batch become infected, so I guess I am going back to plain old, boring beers for awhile.:( I did save four (hopefully uninfected) one gallon jugs to throw dregs into. So far, one has Ovala, one a Crooked Stave, one will have a Prairie Artisan Ales, and one will have a New Holland Farmhouse Hatter (I think I bought the last one in KY, but I am not sure what strains it contains).

i like saisons but i prefer many other styles over it. Ive tried only a few commercial saison and a few local ones. i have to say Saison Dupont is the best one ive tried so far. The next saison i brew will be a sour one.

Apex Predator / Off Color Brewing - this is actually hands down my favorite beer right now. I always keep it on stock to help cheer me up after a crappy day at work. Its definitely more geared towards the fruity side of saisons and even has some bubblegum and clove going on. Love it. From researching, I'm pretty sure its made with 566 yeast which would make sense to me. I like to use this in blends due to its amount of sweet fruity flavor it imparts. If anyone knows for sure, speak up

I'm pretty sure Apex Predator uses 3726. I recall reading that somewhere, and the flavors matchup.

I'm also into saisons! Funkwerks in Ft Collins, CO makes some excellent ones (Saison, Tropic King, Aladdin).

I tried to make something similar to apex predator based on the ingredients on the label, but just used my favorite blend of saison yeasts at the time since i had no idea (3711 and 566)

I think it was something like 80%pils / 15% flaked wheat / 5% honey malt and just used crystal hops throughout

@caverdave21 : ive never seen another homebrewer in this dinky ass town. Could I possibly interest you in a crap ton of homebrew to try?

Thanks for typing all of that up. There's a few on your funky list that I'd like to get my hands on. My last brews were a Hi Nelson! Saison and my own recipe saison after I had Goose Island Sofie on tap at a local restaurant.

ive got a display on the wall of my favorite beers and sofie is the only one I have more than 1 of. Ive got the 2012 2013 and 2014 bottles lined up. I still need to get a 2015 bottle. Ive only had it once, but the 2014 is my favorite. Its cool how the way they brew it makes it noticeably different each year

If you haven't tried anything from Logsdon, you should. Their Seizon Bretta is the best saison I've ever had. Apex Predator is right behind it.

If you haven't tried anything from Logsdon, you should. Their Seizon Bretta is the best saison I've ever had. Apex Predator is right behind it.

yeah, ^scrool up^ it made my list. Getting that cap off through the wax was a pain in the ass and almost cut myself pretty good, but it was totally worth it. I need to find their peach seizen bretta

I've only had a small pour of Tank 7, and a few Prairie Birra now. Those 2 were enough to convince me to brew my own. Glad you put this list together.,

Hmm...Ive never heard of Funkwerks or seen any of their stuff. I'll keep an eye out next time I travel

Hmm...Ive never heard of Funkwerks or seen any of their stuff. I'll keep an eye out next time I travel

I highly recommend them. Their Saison won a gold a few years ago at GABF. I don't know exactly where they distribute, but I've seen them in Colorado, Nebraska, and Arizona. I'm partial to their Tropic King and the various things they do with it (they had a peach whiskey barrel aged one with some brett earlier this year that was awesome).

There is a clone recipe around here somewhere for the Tropic King. If I didn't have it close, I would brew it frequently. :mug:

OK thanks. Im planning on making a big order from an online beer store after I get a number of leads from this thread ill be sure to find a store that has some funkwerks

Oddside Ales has a nice Saison. They usually make "different" beers, but in this case I found it to be a fairly straightforward representation of the style.

Ain't No Sunshine When Saison

I've fairly recently (within the last year or so) developed a taste for saisons. 'Merica and Tank 7 are my favorites. I just found Apex Predator last week and really enjoyed it as well.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace is another one that is pretty easy to come by, although I think Sorachi Ace tends to be a very "love it or hate it" hop variety.

I really liked Sorachi Ace the first tiem I tried it, but the last 3 or 4 times I think I got old bottles. I looked for a date on them, but I also have seen some pretty old stuff floating around this particular store (bottles of Ommegang's Hennepin that still have the pre-2013 style labels)

I just tried two boots saison fom Abita, it is brewed with honey, and dry "hopped?" With lemon balm and peppercorns, it is freaking delicious....

Also Monkey King from New Holland just a fantastic saison

A +1 for Birra from Prarie as well, those guys are doing some great stuff and they are from right here in OK, which is kind of a craft beer wasteland you can't even get much besides BMC cold or even in a regular store here it's all warm at the liquor store so it's nice to have such a great brewery so readily available

Is monkey king like a different version of their golden cap saison. I remember where I lived last, I could find that and I enjoyed it. Ill have to check out two boots. Ive seen it but figured it wouldnt be great since Abita isnt known for Belgian style beers

I tried an excellent saison over the weekend by Une Annee. It's called "Cent" a Brett Saison fermented with plums. 8.1% abv. I didn't get much plum from it but it had plenty of Brett character, sort of smelled and tasted like Orval to me, but as it warmed, it just kept getting better and better. At only $6 for a 750mL, I will likely buy another bottle to hold onto for a while. I believe these guys are only in the Chicagoland area at this point, though.

holy crap they have less than like 30 total ratings across everything on beer advocate. I should be taking a trip to chicago in november for business. Ill try to track some down

They make some good stuff. I wasn't overly impressed with their wild ale, Esquisse, but they're putting out fresh bottles of it every month or so and I've read that they're getting better with every batch. Only $11.99 for a 750mL of sour beer, so it's worth a go.

I highly recommend picking up some Marz Community Brewing beers while you're in town. They're very small but everything I've tried from them has been awesome, started by a group of homebrewers here about a year ago. Also, Spiteful Brewing and Mikerphone are some other good ones, and Pipeworks of course.

They make some good stuff. I wasn't overly impressed with their wild ale, Esquisse, but they're putting out fresh bottles of it every month or so and I've read that they're getting better with every batch. Only $11.99 for a 750mL of sour beer, so it's worth a go.

I highly recommend picking up some Marz Community Brewing beers while you're in town. They're very small but everything I've tried from them has been awesome, started by a group of homebrewers here about a year ago. Also, Spiteful Brewing and Mikerphone are some other good ones, and Pipeworks of course.

moving to outside Hyde Park on Thursday. Appreciate the info.

I like Saisons. Couldn't drink them solely, but I appreciate them for what they are.

Funkwerks made it into our state this summer, and i've been pleased with their stuff

I'm probably going to try to brew one next time. it's weird to do this going into winter, but I usually brew my stouts in the spring :D

Saisons are one of my favorite style and the style that I have I have brewed the most.

You've already got a few Prairie beers on there, but Prairie Somewhere is another good one. It's a collab with Saint Somewhere, who also brews excellent rustic/farmhouse beers (Saint Athene is one example).

Orpheus, in Atlanta, brews a couple of really good saisons. Lyric Ale is a fairly hoppy, clean saison, with a bit of funk and spice from the saison yeast. I like this one a lot as a great example of the style.

Atalanta is a kettle soured plum saison that's. just. awesome.

Ive never been able to find Prarie Somewhere, but I buy every prairie saison I find

So my first negative review:
Has anyone has the collaboration Brasserie De Blaugies / Hill Farmstead "La Vermontoise?"

I was so excited to get it but was very dissapointed. Maybe I got a bad bottle but it was super carbonated and it feels like it was stripped of flavor. It tasted and felt like some of my early saisons that weren't brewed well and didn't age well in bottles. I really want to think the bottle is bad since I have so much respect for these breweries....

HA! I had the same experience with the bottle I bought of La Vermontoise. I brought it to a club meeting to share thinking it would be awesome. Everyone hated it. Waaayyyyy over carbonated and just lacked almost any kind of flavor at all. Very disappointed. Couple of the guys thought it may have been light struck.

Another sad, personal fact about this beer.. I bought it in Vermont thinking it wasn't available in the Midwest and came back to see plenty of it on the shelves at my local liquor store. I now understand why this beer isn't difficult to find.. Who knows, maybe we both got bad bottles.

well Im glad im not the only one. Ill probably continue to feel compelled to buy every hill farmstead beer I see though...

HA! I had the same experience with the bottle I bought of La Vermontoise. I brought it to a club meeting to share thinking it would be awesome. Everyone hated it. Waaayyyyy over carbonated and just lacked almost any kind of flavor at all. Very disappointed. Couple of the guys thought it may have been light struck.

Another sad, personal fact about this beer.. I bought it in Vermont thinking it wasn't available in the Midwest and came back to see plenty of it on the shelves at my local liquor store. I now understand why this beer isn't difficult to find.. Who knows, maybe we both got bad bottles.

Dang, same bottle and you beat me to it! :mug:

I don't blame you, everything I've had from them aside from that Vermontoise has been incredible. I felt that just about every beer I had on my Vermont trip, whether it was Hill Farmstead or any other popular VT brewery, was well worth the hype

Being a "Saison Nut," I'd hope Sante Adairius is on your list, but if it isn't, track some of that down!

wow, I checked them out and it looks incredible. I doubt there's any floating around po-dunk Kentucky though...

They are! I've only had their Saison Bernice, Anais, and their collab with Evil Twin; Joey Fvcking Pepper. All amazing!
I'm sure someone would be willing to trade for some.

Heres one I tried the other night:

Green Flash - Cellar 3 series NATURA MORTA WITH PLUM (the purple one).

This is an barrel ages session strength saison with plum puree. Its absurdly delicious. Very nice balance between the sourness, plum flavors, and saison yeast character. Im glad they didnt use a heavy hand with the plum, I was expecting something more like Lindmans. I didnt get much barrel character from it, but I dont think it really needed any...

The Bruery / Terreux - TONNELLERIE RUE
This is a barrel fermented version of their Rye Saison, Saison Rue. I wasn't sure whether it would be just brett or full sour but it seems to fall somewhere in between. The rye spiciness is right at the forefront and melds with the saison yeast spice. The sour tinge at the end seems to stick with you for a while. This was very good, I need to track down more of their new rebranded sour series.

Off Color - Le Predateur

I just saw this the other day but already had too much beer to begin with to pick up another 4 pack. Did some research on it and it sounds like it's basically Apex Predator using all French malts, French saison yeast and Nelson hops (I believe?) as opposed to Crystal and Sterling. I hear good things so I may have to grab it next time if it's still available. I'm sure you'd like it @sudbuddy considering how in love with Off Color you are.

Yep, that sounds pretty great. Too bad my commercial beer budget for the next 2 months is $0 so I'll just have to brew it instead.

Back