Combining US-05 and w34-70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilson42203

Reaction score
In my infinite wisdom, I accidentally put US-05 in with my W34/70 to rehydrate. Has anyone lagered this? Should I just go buy another 34/70 and S-04?

In my infinite wisdom, I accidentally put US-05 in with my W34/70 to rehydrate. Has anyone lagered this? Should I just go buy another 34/70 and S-04?

What are you trying to make? If you are making a lager, forget it... get another packet of 34/70....... Or make an ale using what you have and make a lager next week. It isn't a disaster, but it won't make a lager.

H.W.

That's what I was afraid of. [emoji20] I'm doing a classic American Lager. I've never screwed that part up before. Thanks.

Be flexible......... it's difficult to make "bad beer"..........

If you ferment at a low enough temperature the 34/70 will thrive and the 05 will not, so you will most likely get the lager you wanted despite your mistake.

If not, call it cream ale.

My engineering friends would remind us at this juncture that you never call it a mistake, you call it a feature. And I would add that you market it as an innovation.

Well, I ended up making a trip to the store, which turned out to be a good thing, because I discovered S-189. I read a review on it that said it is a Swiss yeast similar to W34/70. It develops smoother than W34/70, which gives a crisper finish. So, since he was out of W34/70, I am trying something new and combining S-23 and S-189 and we will see what happens. Brew day went great and it's bubbling away in the ferm chamber right now.

Thanks for the advice!

Back