Coloradoan Single Tier Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bsomogyi said:
It has been a year in the making, but I think I finally have the stand complete. Thanks to all who supported this build thread with inspiration, encouragement, and advice. I had so much fun building the brewery and discussing the progress with all of you. The first trial run will be in the next couple weeks and I will try to post an action video. Thoughts on a recipe to break er' in with?

How out something delicious and easy like an ESB or a basic HEFE (1/2 and 1/2 2 row and wheat). Something with lighter malt and hops so the risk is lower. Good time of year for wheat beers.

Oh my goodness, that rig is simply spectacular.
Mega golf-claps ;)

Wish you the best of luck running it - though I suspect you've taken luck out of the equation...

Cheers!

[edit] I vote for a robust IIPA. Rock that puppy! :D

Holly Awesomeness! That looks amazing your talented by far! Are you even needed in the brew equation anymore!

I vote for Amarillo IPA of some sort!

Great build

Been following the thread for a while. Simply put, a work of art! I'm down the highway a few exits, I'd love to see this rig in action if you're ever selling tickets for the event!

I have a bunch of Amarillo and Simcoe to 'donate' to one of the voyages on this beast!

Congrats on the build!

Thanks guys. I probably will go with an IPA for the first brewday. Not sure what yet, but thanks for the ideas.

Ttownbrewer,

Good to hear you are in the area. I'm thinking of joining up to the Indian Peaks Alers club. Are you involved with any of the front range clubs?

bsomogyi said:
Ttownbrewer,

Good to hear you are in the area. I'm thinking of joining up to the Indian Peaks Alers club. Are you involved with any of the front range clubs?[/QUOTE

I have have been to a few meetings of the IPAlers, a good group for sure, I'm planning to check out a couple others as my schedule permits.

Now that you have a killer rig though, what's your fermentation system look like, Or is that going to be another project in the making?

I brewed last weekend and everything went better than expected. I ended up making a nice IPA, which I have split fermentation with American Ale and San Diego Super yeast starters. Tasted pretty good going into secondary. There were a few things that I will need to tweak before the next brew day (hopefully next weekend).

- My sight gauges need heat shields.
- I didn't protect the HSI wires that are close to the burners, which melted and exposed wire. Luckily this didn't affect the brew day.
- I need to figure out how to whirlpool or eliminate transfer of trub/hops, as cleaning the plate chiller was a pain.

I also figured I would post my inventory/Bill of Materials (attached) since it might help someone else get going on their build. I think everything is up to date, but i did make some last minute changes so if you have questions on the list, please feel free to PM me. I also couldn't attache the excel format, so if you need that, just let me know. The list in PDF will need to be zoomed.

Video coming on the next brew day - I didn't want to record the inaugural voyage just in case it went to hell. lol.

View attachment Single Tier Brew Hardware.pdf

Yep. $7.95 for a hose barb, but when you need 16 of them it is draw dropping how quick the expenses tally up. I didn't think it would be as expensive as it turned out. Once I started my plan and tallying up the parts on paper, the completion date got further and further away. Lol.

Stand is welded and cleaned up.

IMG_0151.jpg

Can I just say that that stand is freaking gorgeous....!:ban:

Well I'm not a very good narrator or videographer, but here are a few phone clips from today's brewday. The system is running great and making tasty beverages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it - it works well. Not a big fan of the interface though, so I will be writing an iPad app to control my process and interface with the bcs.

bsomogyi said:
I like it - it works well. Not a big fan of the interface though, so I will be writing an iPad app to control my process and interface with the bcs.

Yep, you lost me at "writing an iPad app".... Sounds like the BCS may not be the right direction for my electric system. Want to write 2 apps?

Yep, you lost me at "writing an iPad app".... Sounds like the BCS may not be the right direction for my electric system. Want to write 2 apps?

Why would bsomogyi's wanting to write an ipad app for an interface mean that the BCS may not be the right direction for you? The BCS is very flexible in what you can set it up to do. You should really check it out first.

Actually the interface works really well, but you need to flip to each process page to see what is activated within the system. Planning to improve this with my own interface to have one stop viewing/configuring for all that is going on in the system.

JonW said:
Why would bsomogyi's wanting to write an ipad app for an interface mean that the BCS may not be the right direction for you? The BCS is very flexible in what you can set it up to do. You should really check it out first.

Im sure it's probably not that bad. Perhaps a little intimidating to say the least. I think eBrewsupply will have a booth at GABF. I'll be checking it out there, and if I ever get up to see bsmogyi's system he can walk me through it.

Figured I would give you another brew system update. Everything is running really well and the process is getting dialed in nicely. I'm also getting really good efficiency too (85-90%). Today we brewed back-to-back batches. The 3 pump design is awesome. Anyways - happy brewing. The video isn't the greatest as my big fingers keep getting in the way of the mic...

[ame="http://youtu.be/sQMRqWVxfY8"]http://youtu.be/sQMRqWVxfY8[/ame]

Figured I would give you another brew system update. Everything is running really well and the process is getting dialed in nicely. I'm also getting really good efficiency too (85-90%). Today we brewed back-to-back batches. The 3 pump design is awesome. Anyways - happy brewing. The video isn't the greatest as my big fingers keep getting in the way of the mic...

Video Link: http://youtu.be/sQMRqWVxfY8

Double brew days are exhausting, props for brewing in that cold. You sir earned you man card for the week.

Double brew days are exhausting, props for brewing in that cold. You sir earned you man card for the week.

Depending on your method of brewing, I'd say yes, double brew days could be exhausting. However, with the triple pump setup like this, it's actually pretty easy and you can overlap quite a bit cutting the time dramatically. Almost every one of my brew days are now double batch days.

man!! You and JonW have the cleanest stands... Hats off to you and the rest of the brewing community for keeping our nations economy thriving!! haha
Looks great man... congrats..

Bru-noob said:
man!! You and JonW have the cleanest stands... Hats off to you and the rest of the brewing community for keeping our nations economy thriving!! haha Looks great man... congrats..

Ha, ha. Thanks!

Back