Cold Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iarobertson

Erebus and Terror
Reaction score
So, this might seem a little nutty, but on one of my first AG batches (a few months ago) I did something I've never seen on here.

I mashed @ 150 as normal, then I sparged with 168-ish, but I didn't have enough pre-boil so I "sparged" again with 2 gallons of cold tap water. I got the color, but could this have a negative effect in some way?

The beer by the way has all been drank, and from many samples I had it tasted fine. :mug:

Cheers.

Well you didn't actually sparge with cold water, the grain was somewhere near 168 when you added the water to it for the second batch of water. So you probably sparged the last bit somewhere around the temp of your original mash.

As you said the beer turned out fine.

really at that point your just moving some extra sugar from the grain. then temp of the gain will heat it up about 40 deg. your mash out/ first sparge does most of it so you will be fine. I have done this before i run water though after i do a big beer then freeze that and add DME for starters.

Back