Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
1. If I cold crash my beer, then keg it, is it okay for it to be warmed back up to mid sixties until I have room in my keezer?

2. Are there any ill effects if I cold crash in primary then let it warm back up before I keg it without racking? (I need more kegs, but they are hard to come by) Or would this be basically doing nothing?

cold crashing should just help the yeast settle out, once they flocculate they should stay at the bottom of the fermenter

1. If I cold crash my beer, then keg it, is it okay for it to be warmed back up to mid sixties until I have room in my keezer?

It's perfectly OK to do that.

2. Are there any ill effects if I cold crash in primary then let it warm back up before I keg it without racking? (I need more kegs, but they are hard to come by) Or would this be basically doing nothing?

It's better to keep it cold until you're ready to rack to the keg. If you let it warm up in the primary before racking, it's easier to disturb the yeast layer and some yeast may get re-suspended from off-gassing at the trub layer. Still, it's better to do that than to not cold crash at all.

Ok thanks. I guess if I need to then I could rack my beer to the secondary, then let it warm back if if I am fermenting more beer in the chest freezer.

Latest posts

Back