Cold Crashing my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyonsViper27

Reaction score
Its an American Pilsner. its been in the primary for 10days and in the secondary for 15 days today. its my first batch and i am doing my very best to not rush but i am ready to bottle. i have my second batch 9 days in the primary and want to get it in the secondary (i need more secondary!!) my question is how long should i cold crash in my fridge before i bottle? should i let it warm up before bottle?

the only reason i am cold crashing is to try to get rid of the haze/cloudy...

kinda a side question why is it so cloudy i figured it would clear up just sitting in the secondary by now...

recipe : 4lbs or light DME, 1lb rice solids, 1bag crystal malt-10L, hallertauer bittering hopps, 1 whirlfloc tablet, saaz aromatic hopps, 1tsp amylase enzyme, 1 cup priming sugar.

Thanks for your help :mug:

. . . . . my question is how long should i cold crash in my fridge before i bottle?
The answer to this is: Until it is clear enough to suit your personal fancy. Some brews need further assistance (fining) to clear.
should i let it warm up before bottle?
The answer to this is: You can but it's not necessary, you will want to store the bottles warm however for 21days at least.

the only reason i am cold crashing is to try to get rid of the haze/cloudy...

kinda a side question why is it so cloudy i figured it would clear up just sitting in the secondary by now...

Some do, some don't, depends on the brew, your procedures and numerous other factors. I've not tried anything with rice it in, american pilsners are hard to brew without off flavors, or so I've heard. Personally there is enough cheap american pilsners for me to purchase if I ever want something flavorless, colorless and full of non descript odour.;)

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

wish i would have heard that there tough to brew i figured it would be easy that's why i picked it... from my taste test it damn good beer so maybe im a master brewer and i don't even know it yet lol...

thanks for the help!

Just be sure to adjust your priming sugar levels if you bottle a cold beer. You'll need less sugar overall.

And that is all the maters :mug: If it is too cloudy for your tastes you can also take a look at running the beer through a water filter (requires corney kegs though). https://morebeer.com/view_product/16769

But if you are happy I wouldn't bother

If you're on your first batch, I would highly recommend that you dont do this.

Give it time, time, and more time. It will clear up. Leave it in the bottles at room temp for 21 days, chill one and crack it open to test if it's carbonated. If it IS, store your bottles in the fridge for another two weeks and pretty much any chill haze or yeast still in suspension will settle out and you will have crystal clear beer without doing something silly like hooking up a water filter.

However......

If you dont mind the haze, then drink away after they carb up! The haze doesnt affect anything other than the way it looks!! Lots of great homebrew is drank hazy.

Next, I would buy a kit for a brown ale, or a stout or some type of dark ale that you enjoy. Darker beers are easier to brew because there is way more flavor coming from the malt and hops. Ligher beers are difficult because there is so little malt that any off flavor will be noticable, but the same off flavors will be covered up by the big malt and hop flavor in a darker beer. Also ales are much more forgiving of temperature changes/room temp fermentation than lagers (like the pils you made). Overall you have a much better shot at having a really really great brew if you go that route in the beginning!

Keep brewing!! It's a fun and addictive hobby, and before you know it you'll have a fridge full of awesome beer that you made!!

well i cold crashed it with great success! crystal clear ended up stirring up some sediment when i racked but nothing the bottle cant handle:)

i just transferred my brown ale into its secondary boy it smells great!

i do have some off flavors in the pilsner but i don't think its anything time wont heal:D. i would have to describe it as yeasty or almost an uncooked dough... FG 1.004 so i think is about fully fermented. i really hope so!

i did not realize that i need less sugar if you guys could explain that to me i would like to know why? the bottles are sitting at a comfortable 69*F. i didn't have a choice i had to individual prime each bottle at 3/4 tbs per 12oz. and 1-1/4 tbs per 22oz.

i am currently heating up some water for "Jim Rossi's Honey Pale-Extract" from morebeer.com
I have not even tasted my first batch and i cant stop brewing!!! its too much fun!

Thanks for all the help!
:mug:

i did not realize that i need less sugar if you guys could explain that to me i would like to know why?

Cold beer holds onto CO2 better, so if your beer finishes fermenting at 60 it will have more dissolved CO2 than one at 70.

Let's say we have 5.5 gallons of fermented beer, 5 of which we're going to rack into a bottling bucket that we want to carb to 2.5 volumes, a very typical amount for American beer. It was fermented at 60, but we raised the temp at the end to 65, so at bottling time it's 5@65. Plug that into a handy-dandy online calculator and we find we need right around exactly 4oz of table sugar. This is where the kind of scale you get at a head shop is really handy -- also when it comes to hops, water salts, yeast nutrients, etc..

Back