Cold Crashing Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zugbuggin

Reaction score
I've started my second and third 1 gallon batches of Honig Apeflwein. I let the first batch go till ferm. stopped at 1.002 man was it dry, I back sweetened with splenda and bottled. Now for my next two batches I want to try cold crashing them so they they retain some sweetness. The OG's were 1.074 & 1.076. Can anybody give me and idea of how to gage this in terms of gravity? I'm using Pasteur Champagne yeast in the 1.076 and some Pasteur Red yeast in the 1.04 ( had the yeast left over from a batch of Blackberry wine) I don't know enough about the yeasts to know if I messed up using this yeast, I guess I'll find out in about 6 months. After all the rambling my question is At what gravities should I cold crash? And how long in the fridge do I hold them before I rack?

Ill try cold crashing the Pastuer Red and try stopping the champagne yeast the regular method any ball park idea what gravity to stop it at so there is still some sweetness and maybe a apple taste?

Ill try cold crashing the Pastuer Red and try stopping the champagne yeast the regular method any ball park idea what gravity to stop it at so there is still some sweetness and maybe a apple taste?

champagne yeasts arent the best for ciders, they accentuate grapes, but leave their own distinctive flavor as well, other yeasts can help to accentuate apple flavors Nottingham is very good in a cider

Also, apple flavor is still there it just takes time for it to show, stash some bottles in a dark corner somewhere, forget about them and then taste in 12-24mos and see how good it can be.......

Back