coffee tincture vs dry hop vs cold extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtian

Reaction score
I'm going to make another coffee porter. last time i put the coffee into the secondary as a dry hopping but was underwhelmed with the results. I thought I would try a tincture or cold extract this time. was wondering what amount of coffee you all were adding and what method per 5 gallon batch of SG 1.060.

Thanks

As it happens, I just bottled a Coffee Porter last night. I sampled the leftovers, and it had a very strong coffee flavour.

I brewed it as a 5 gallon batch, then after 2 weeks of fermenting, I racked it to 4 one gallon jugs (and bottled the remainder plain) and added different flavourings to each jug (vanilla, gingerbread, pumpkin spice, and coffee). The coffee one got 40 grams of espresso grounds (from the grocery store, in a can), just dumped directly in. I let it sit for a week, then cold-crashed it for a night and bottled it last night.

The coffee one had a strong coffee aroma and flavour. It still has to carb up, and I don't know if the flavour will be as strong after chilling, but so far it's definitely a "coffee porter," without being overpowering. I think I lucked out on the amount of coffee (40 grams espresso grounds dry hopped in 1 gallon of porter).

how much coffee did you add? was it freshly ground or whole beans?

Ive had the best results adding 3-4oz whole beans fresh from a sealed package into the primary for 5-10 days like a dry hop. Much more potent than my attempts at flamoeout additions or cole steeping

Coffee Porter is my flagship home brew. It's my wife's favorite and almost always on tap. What I have found to work the best is like what m00ps described. After a couple of weeks fermenting I add 4oz of medium roast whole beans into the primary for 5 days.

I bottled one 2 days ago, with great coffee flavor. Maybe a touch too much, but I like coffee.

For a 2.5 gallon batch I added 2 ozs of whole coffee beans 8 days before bottling. Planned to only be 6 days, but got delayed.

Back