Coffee STout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flimflam

Reaction score
Thinking about making a coffee stout and putting the coffee grounds in the mash , is that good way to add the coffee? Your thoughts .

That will make the coffee super bitter (boiling the grounds in general). You're best of adding to the secondary. I add fresh cracked beans, and have added freshly made coffee (cooled of course), and some cold brew coffee and add. Matter of preference, but all are good methods!

Ok, thank you very much . For a 5 gallon batch , how much coffee beans/ grounds do you feel is a good amount to have a balanced coffee flavor come through? I know it has alot to do with the bean .

I recently made a porter and added 3 oz of coarsely cracked kona beans to the carboy and let them sit in there for 8 days before bottling. Coffee flavor came out perfect.

Adaman, did you sterilize the coffee beans? I have a porter going right now (2nd day of fermentation) I added about 6 cups of strong dark roast coffee (brewed and cooled) at flameout. After reading your post I was thinking about adding a few ounces of ground coffee as well. But concerned about contaminating my batch. What do you recommend? How would you sterilize coffee beans anyway?

I have used to cold brew addition after fermentation and it turned out nice. I just added, tasted, added, tasted and once it was a nice balance added just a touch more to allow for a bit of aging to bleed some of the flavor off.

Adaman, did you sterilize the coffee beans? I have a porter going right now (2nd day of fermentation) I added about 6 cups of strong dark roast coffee (brewed and cooled) at flameout. After reading your post I was thinking about adding a few ounces of ground coffee as well. But concerned about contaminating my batch. What do you recommend? How would you sterilize coffee beans anyway?

Actually hadn't even thought of it... whoops :drunk: I guess I got away with it. I sanitized the plastic cup the beans were put into, though. If I were to do it again, I'd sanitize with vodka.

I recently make NB's Peace Coffee Stout. For that beer, one pound of coffee beans are added to the mash at the 60 minute mark. The beer was not bitter, it was very tasty

Four cups of espresso at bottling or kegging. I like coffee so for me this method makes an amazing coffee stout.

There is a Can You Brew It where Terrapins Wake-n-Bake Oatmeal Coffe Imperial Stout. I would suggest you give it a listen. It talked not only about how best to use coffee in the brewing process but Spike from Terrapin also talked about the importance of picking the right coffee. Not all coffee beans will produce the same flavor and not all are good brewing choices.

Back