CO2 Refills in the Lewisville/Flower Mound Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a shiny new 5lb aluminum CO2 tank and need to get it filled. From what I gather, most places like LHBS want to do an exchange.

That idea just doesn't set well with me especially if I get a clunky beat up steel tank in exchange. I suspect there has to be someplace that will refill tanks.

Any tips?

Thanks for the web search link... Though I already did that. :p Airgas in Lewisville only does exchanges. I called Littrell & Associates but they said Metroplex Welding in downtown Dallas was the only place that would refill tanks.

I could drive down there and will if I have to. But I find it hard to believe that nobody else will refill...

In my area they'll let you drop it off and leave it for someone to fill up for $8.00 or so.
The reason is they don't always have a guy hanging around all day just doing refills.

If you tell them you prefer to have YOUR bottle back, they should be happy to oblige or you'd be happy to take your money elsewhere. Air gas should have the equipment to refill... It takes literally 15 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Is your area anywhere near Lewisville or Flower Mound? I understand the trivial nature of filling a 5 pound cylinder. What I don't understand is why nobody (That I've found yet...) seems willing to do that around here.

Maybe I should buy a large cylinder and advertise that I do refills! :D

No I'm in Wichita Falls.
My LHBS has a big bottle with a tube going to the bottom so he can fill others with liquid.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I hear you about the brand new shiny tank.

Aside from welders (many fill their small portable tanks from their large storage ones) and welding supply, try places that fill fire extinguishers. You can find them under fire protection etc. It took me a dozen or so calls to find the one place that fills in my area, 20' away. The next two are 40'.

Depending on how much CO2 you use, I find a 20# tank around the house to be a good size, and the price for 20# or 5# fills are ridiculously close. It's not the cost of the actual gas. Now for portability, taking kegs somewhere, a 5# is better.

Good luck!

Thanks IslandLizard... I actually have a 20# in my Keezer and I bought the 5# as a backup and for portability as you mentioned. The 20# tank came with my Keezer, I found a good deal on Craigslist. It's a scuffed up tank and I wouldn't mind exchanging it. It's my brand new one that I'd like to keep. Maybe put cool stickers on it, etc...

If I can find a good place to refill, I'd use them for both tanks and I'm guessing it might be at least a little cheaper than an exchange.

So far I have found a few places closer to Dallas but nothing more local. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and drive! :eek:

Perfect! That helps a lot... It isn't as local as I had hoped to find but I'd much rather drive to Denton than Dallas!

Thanks for the tip NTXBrauer..

Anytime..glad I could help. I also understand you not wanting to exchange a new tank for one that may have less than a couple years left on the cert. Cheers!

Thanks again for the tip NTXBrauer and hats off to 3L Welding Supply in Denton, TX!

They filled my 5 pound cylinder in less than 5 minutes and for less than 20 bucks!

Great find IMHO!!!!!

Another nod to 3L Welding in Denton although I didn't get the feeling that it was their favorite thing to do.

I did stop by Airgas and the gentleman up front told me there was a good chance they could swap my aluminum tank for another one just as nice or nicer. My question didn't phase him so I assume its something they are running into more and more. Unfortunately they were out of 10# tanks when I went.

Has anyone ever tried to get their tanks filled at Academy? I know they do it but I read that they will only do the small paintball canisters. IF they will refill larger tanks then you might be able to add Dicks Sporting Goods and Sports Authority because they do CO2 refills as well.

I will add another place to the list, Dallas North Aquarium in Carrollton. Many planted aquariums use CO2 so they offer that service. The only thing is they are crazy expensive at $39 for a 10# refill so it pains me to give them the referral. If your in a pinch though they are open until 9 and on the weekends.

I need to pickup some stuff from Academy before heading out of town for Thanksgiving. So I'll ask about CO2 refills when I'm there.

Another nod to 3L Welding in Denton although I didn't get the feeling that it was their favorite thing to do.

I did stop by Airgas and the gentleman up front told me there was a good chance they could swap my aluminum tank for another one just as nice or nicer. My question didn't phase him so I assume its something they are running into more and more. Unfortunately they were out of 10# tanks when I went.

Has anyone ever tried to get their tanks filled at Academy? I know they do it but I read that they will only do the small paintball canisters. IF they will refill larger tanks then you might be able to add Dicks Sporting Goods and Sports Authority because they do CO2 refills as well.

I will add another place to the list, Dallas North Aquarium in Carrollton. Many planted aquariums use CO2 so they offer that service. The only thing is they are crazy expensive at $39 for a 10# refill so it pains me to give them the referral. If your in a pinch though they are open until 9 and on the weekends.

I got the exact opposite from 3L, they were more than happy to fill my 5# tank.

I got the exact opposite from 3L, they were more than happy to fill my 5# tank.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to infer that they had bad customer service or were rude in any way, they were not. Filling CO2 bottles is simply not a fun thing to do, if done properly, which they did by filling and emptying the bottle to get it cold enough to accept close to its maximum capacity and weighing it to ensure they did. This is why the trend is for businesses to leave that up to those that specialize in it like Airgas and just do bottle swaps.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to infer that they had bad customer service or were rude in any way, they were not. Filling CO2 bottles is simply not a fun thing to do, if done properly, which they did by filling and emptying the bottle to get it cold enough to accept close to its maximum capacity and weighing it to ensure they did. This is why the trend is for businesses to leave that up to those that specialize in it like Airgas and just do bottle swaps.
Ah, ok, cool.

FWIW, Academy said that they could not fill my 20# tank but had no problem filling my 5# tank. I guess I'll be heading to 3L for the 20 pounder...

I broke down and just swapped my tank at Airgas in Lewisville. I had a now resolved CO2 leak that drained my tank and I didn't feel like driving out to 3L. The tank they gave me was an aluminum tank just like what I had but a little more beat up, no telling what I will end up with next time though. In the end it really doesn't matter what the CO2 tank looks like, its sure a lot more convenient, I get a completely full tank and honestly its a relief now that I'm not worried about protecting that shiny aluminum tank. It wasn't any cheaper though, around $30 for a 10# swap.

Winemakers toy store one the northbound 35 service road in Carrollton (make a u turn at the beltline exit) will do cylinder exchanges if that is closer for you. The exchanges I've done have always looked well taken care of

Winemakers toy store one the northbound 35 service road in Carrollton (make a u turn at the beltline exit) will do cylinder exchanges if that is closer for you. The exchanges I've done have always looked well taken care of

Nice tip! I'm not a big fan but they are convenient. I contacted them and they encouraged calling them first to make sure they have the right size available as they only keep a few in stock.

Last edited:
Nice tip! I'm not a big fan but they are convenient. I contacted them and they encouraged calling them first to make sure they have the right size available as they only keep a few in stock.

I love the Winemakers Toy Store, a.k.a Dallas Home Brew. I knew they did exchanges too but really have been looking for fills instead.

I am just getting my Kegerator setup again and trying to find a place to fill is driving me nuts. 3L can fill, but they won't be able to fill a 20# all the way up. They said they would get the most they could, probably about 15# for 19.95. I will still be searching for a full fill.

I just came back from The Winemakers Toy Store with an exchange from my 20# cylinder. I dont think I was empty but I got this tank used a year ago and the guy said he "thought" it was about half full. I've had ~15 kegs on it over the last year so I thought I'd swap it out to be safe. Found this reference chart which tells me I should be good for about 4 years now on this cylinder barring any leaks! lol I probably could have gone a while longer I guess...

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-many-beer-kegs-dispensed-out-co2-tank-aid-89.html

Collins Fire & Safety can refill your Co2 from a 5#er to a 20#er. Only do refills no exchanges Usually get it done within 10 minutes. It's located in Carrollton.

After a lengthy search this weekend I found Collins, going in today to get my tank filled. Thanks.

Now I have to get to brewing, Kegerator is all done but no beer to flow through it.

Collins Fire & Safety can refill your Co2 from a 5#er to a 20#er. Only do refills no exchanges Usually get it done within 10 minutes. It's located in Carrollton.

Not a fan, why's that?

Sorry, missed this question to me. I have been in there several times and have not received good service at all. I have never been greeted or asked if I need help and usually am made to feel like I am bothering them when I have to track down an employee and ask for help. They don't seem knowledgeable about the hobby and don't seem confident in the products they sell. I have seen them happily servicing other people but I don't get the same. I don't get it, I'm usually in business clothes when I go in, and typically don't have those issues. I'm guessing in their model you have to earn the right to receive good customer service, they don't try to earn your business by giving it to you. Its not how things work in my book so now I just drive to Homebrew HQ or order online.

On the CO2 bottle questions seriously the sooner you give up your connection to the shiny bottles the sooner options open up and things get much easier. I was there, I'm not judging. Most, if not all of the independent gas distributors that did local fills have been bought up by Airgas who do them centrally leaving a few welding and fire suppression shops. Reading this thread you will see its a constant intelligence battle of who still does them. Its not the optimal way we all would like it to be but its just the way it is in this market.

Hit Collins to refill my 20lbs tank last week. Nice folks, cost $35 out the door while I waited. If you just want to do a tank exchange, the brew shop across the highway from Collins is a couple bucks cheaper. Could not find anyone closer to Frisco who fills tanks, plus it is right next to the brew shop. Saves a trip, but Collins not open on Saturday.

5lb tanks can be exchanged at Specs liquor store, not every location, so call first. Only 5 lbs tanks, no other sizes, $17. Not sure about the other big liquor stores.

Sporting goods stores only do 20oz paint ball tanks. Nothing larger at least the ones I called.

$35?? If you don't mind driving downtown, Bacon Equipment filled a 20# for I think $16 and change while I waited.

Sorry, missed this question to me. I have been in there several times and have not received good service at all. I have never been greeted or asked if I need help and usually am made to feel like I am bothering them when I have to track down an employee and ask for help. They don't seem knowledgeable about the hobby and don't seem confident in the products they sell. I have seen them happily servicing other people but I don't get the same. I don't get it, I'm usually in business clothes when I go in, and typically don't have those issues. I'm guessing in their model you have to earn the right to receive good customer service, they don't try to earn your business by giving it to you. Its not how things work in my book so now I just drive to Homebrew HQ or order online.

This surprises me greatly. I love WMTS. Employees and owner are very friendly and helpful and on the rare occasion I have had a problem, it has been handled promptly and to my advantage. I wonder if the self-serve aspect of their business is what is off-putting to you. Personally, I like gathering my own ingredients, as I know for sure what I have and am not relying on someone else. As a matter of fact, that is the only thing I ever liked about Homebrew HQ. They were nice guys but I feel about their knowledge, the way you feel about WMTS. Plus they are very extract oriented and have no equipment to speak of. To each his own, obviously, just thought I'd chime in.

As to the topic at hand, I work in Dallas, so I bring my tanks to work and have them filled at Koetter Fire. I fill two 5lb tanks for about $23 and it's quick and easy.

And of course they were closed today. So, I had to go exchange my shiny new cylinder after all. Darn!

Just did a 20# tank swap at Praxair in Denton today. Cost me $20+tax, which is pretty sweet, BUT even sweeter is that I turned in my crappy 40 year old steel tank with no collar and got a very nice aluminum tank with a single-handle collar! Can't say that it'll happen for everyone, but hot damn!

Might have to hang on to this one and clean it up a bit, then just get it refilled somewhere. Vanity!

I just bought a shiny new 5lb aluminum CO2 tank and need to get it filled. From what I gather, most places like LHBS want to do an exchange.

That idea just doesn't set well with me especially if I get a clunky beat up steel tank in exchange. I suspect there has to be someplace that will refill tanks.

Any tips?

I called BrewHound on 3/17/2021 and they will fill YOUR C02 bottle. They do it right there.
My 10lbs bottle will cost $25 ($2.50 per lbs)

BrewHound
8808 Camp Bowie W Blvd #160, Fort Worth, TX 76116
817-615-9551

Back