CO2 on secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilDrFoetus

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing another batch (switching to 2-can kits) now I've sorted out the issues with StarSan, gravity's at about 1.018 after 5 days and still bubbling a bit so I've got a day or two so sort out the barrel.

Last time I used a pressure barrel for secondary I had pressure loss issues (done some work on the tap since then so may not be an issue this time), but I picked up a CO2 bulb kit cheap and that made things a lot easier.

Thing is, that was for carbonation after 2 weeks on secondary w/sugar. If I'm putting this batch straight under CO2 do I still need the sugar? I figure it needs to sit for a couple of weeks regardless.

Cheers.

I think it would take a lot of CO2 cartridges to carbonate the full batch. My understanding with those pressure barrels that you guys use in the UK is that you prime and carbonate with sugar then just use the CO2 cartridge to serve the beer and replace the CO2 that is lost as the barrel is drained. So I would say yes, add your sugar and give it 2-3 wks at room temp to carbonate.

Thanks, thought that might be the case.

Was hesitant to stick it under gas anyway - these things have a nasty habit of slow leaks, but when you're stuck renting in the city bottling is out of the question (as is extract/AG for that matter :/ )

Back