Cloudy 10 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsherlock22

Reaction score
Hey All,
after 20 or so brews I jumped up to 10 gal batches. Cant seem to get them clear. My 5 gal batches cleared brilliantly. Using whirlfloc, cold crashing just as always. Fairly certain its not suspended yeast. Very opaque. Bumped it off my LHBS and he felt it my be that my boil wasnt vigorous enough. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Forget the hot break! Has your cooling regimen changed? If not, or at least if you haven't scaled up, you're probably not getting a good COLD break. Binding those proteins together helps them drop out for sure. I just went through the same thing scaling up. Everyone of my beers had chill/protein/whatever haze until I jumped up in IC size dramatically and introduced a recirc pump.

Been using a 50 foot immersion chiller from the get go. Use a pond pump to recirc through 40 to 50 lbs of ice. Get from 212 to 60 in 40 mins or so on the 10 gal batch. If that's not quick enough I may need a plate chiller....?

Back