Clearing a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnie7781

Reaction score
So, I have a german pilsner in my primary at 50 degrees that's been fermenting for 21 days. During the brewing, I couldn't find my Irish Moss. I'll be racking the lager to a keg this week (day 24) and lagering until the last week in June (roughly 12 weeks spent lagering). Can I add anything to the keg when I transfer in order to clear the beer, or should I just extend the lagering time? I'd like to have this beer ready for the 4th of July. Feedback would be appreciated.

With my house Pilsner I routinely find that beer has cleared very well with a months lagering at around 35F.

You can rack to a secondary and use gelatin or isinglass. I'm more familiar with gelatin, which usually clears the beer in a couple of days. Otherwise, lagering alone will do the trick in time.

If you use gelatin, pull your carboy or bucket out of the fermentation chamber and let it rise to room temp, which would also serve as a nice diacetyl rest in case you need one. Use the Biermuncher method:
I add my dried gelatin to cold water and stir. (About 1 Tbsp to 1/2 cup per five gallons.)

Then I place it on the stove on medium heat and then stir.
In about 5-6 minutes (well before it begins to boil), the gelatin has dissolved completely and I remove from heat.

I cool it slightly and add it to the secondary or keg before racking the beer on top.
Then put the secondary in the fridge for a couple of days to cool and drop bright before kegging.

Back