Clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaug

Reaction score
So....I've made 2 Brewers Best batches, one was an oatmeal stout and the other a belguin wheat......neither of which clarity was not an issue.

Next 2 batches are an IPA and a summer ale. After 3 weeks in the primary, will they be clear for bottling without doing any 'clearing'?

Ok, I'm going to phrase this answer in two parts because I'm not sure what you mean by clear.

-Assuming by clear you mean: the wort is finished fermenting, and I'm ready to bottle the beer.

The answer to that is. Yes. Three weeks in the primary is definitely long enough for just about any ale. Assuming your fermentation temp was warmer than 58* or so, you wort has definitely fermented out, the yeast have cleaned up all the diayctl in the wort, and almost all of them have dropped out of solution to the bottom of fermenter. Don't worry, there are still plenty of yeast in suspension to bottle condition the beer.

-Assuming you mean: will my beer be clear enough to see through

Maybe.... If you used an English or American yeast, your yeast will have dropped out of suspension, so if the beer is hazy, the yeast aren't the reason. If you're looking for clear beers, try this: After your beer is fully carbonated in the bottle, stick the bottles in the fridge for two to three weeks. They will clear up nicely.

Being that this is your third batch of beer, I wouldn't be too overly concerned with the clarity of your beer. Focus on making it taste good, and making more beer. Once you're making beer faster than you can drink it, is a good time to work on clarity issues =)

thanks for the replies .....
and yes.....making more is on the top of the priority list lol.......I got an IPA on deck......as soon as the fermenter is empty......

Maybe I should invest in another bucket lol........

Thanks again.

I only use secondary for a reason - dry hopping or clearing a stubborn beer. I just kegged a Kolsch last weekend. After two weeks in primary it was still quite murky so I transferred to a secondary and within 24 hours it was clear as a bell. This usually works for me, but a few times it only partially worked. Go figure. Here's my Kolsch.

photo.jpg

I left this beer in primary for about 20 days, cold crashed it for 2. Left it in the bottle for 2 weeks. Put a few bottles in the fridge for three days. This is how it looked. Great clarity. No secondary.

image-4254322111.jpg

Latest posts

Back