Clear cap-able 12oz bottle source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I am going to bottle a sparkling (force carbed) mead sometime in the next few months and I'd like to put it in clear bottles... but since it is carbonated it will need to either be crown capped or corked and caged.

I don't have the equipment to cork/cage them. The only cap-able clear bottles I've been able to find are 6oz. That's too small... we usually share a bottle anyway and I don't want to fill/cap twice as many bottles.

I thought there would be some source out there for 12oz soda bottles that are clear and cap-able, but I haven't been able to find any. Any ideas?

I thought about going to the local Mexican restaurant and asking them to save Corona bottles.... but I really don't want to have to clean and de-label them. I'd rather just buy new.

Thanks for any ideas.

Around here there are a few artisan soda companies that bottle in clear 12 oz crown cap bottles. I've been saving them up for my non-beers. Also, Newcastle and Sol (Mexican beer) use clear bottles. Also, here are 16oz Grolsch style ones on eBay. No idea if they are rated for carbonation though.

now you've got me curious as well. i thought these were commonly available, but i guess not. i really love my new castle bottles. the labels on corona are etched on and a PITA to remove

Yeah, I can't believe these aren't easily available due to all the soda manufacturers that use them. But, I haven't been able to find a source for small quantities (48 bottles or so) yet.

Yeah, I can't believe these aren't easily available due to all the soda manufacturers that use them. But, I haven't been able to find a source for small quantities (48 bottles or so) yet.

I think that they used to be. I swear NB used to sell them

Sorry, old bookmark. Doesn't even look like they have them anymore anyways.

The only ones that I've been able to find, even from soda manufacturers, are twist-offs. I did see some random off brand at Big Lots one time that used pry off caps. The only sodas that I've been able to find in clear pry-off caps are usually imports from the international section, mostly Mexican. Coke, Fanta, Jarritos, and Pepsi all come in clear pry-off bottles, but Jarritos is the only one with peel-off labels.

I'm in Canada and I've been using Smirnoff Ice bottles. I think that they are 12oz...330ml. Also have found that MGD bottles and Twisted Tea bottle work well. I have found that some of the Twisted tea and Smirnoff Ice bottles are twist off. I was making regular trips to the recyclers and finding lots of good bottles in the glass dumpster. I should have known that the permission I had wasn't legit...got the heave ho this evening!

Back