Cleaning Rocket Hand Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordy80011

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a bit elementary in nature - I don't keg and have typically only bottled in the past, but I have recently put together a rocket hand pump/cubitainer setup so that I can more closely approximate real ale on cask (with great success, flavor and character-wise!). Currently, I've been pumping hot water, then sanitizer through the line/hand-pump both before and after using it - but I am anticipating that in the longer run, I'll probably need to do more than that to keep sanitary.

Does anyone else out there still use a rocket hand pump (all of the posts on this forum about it seem to be pretty old!)? If so, how do you go about cleaning it and how often? I was thinking of soaking it in PBW after the batch kicks and then pumping some of the PBW liquid through it before flushing thoroughly with hot water... does that sound about right?

Back