Cleaning keg with possible contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
The last beer I kegged (a couple of weeks ago) was a hoppy red ale. Recently it rapidly lost hop character and developed somewhat vegetal taste, which makes me think that it picked up some form of contamination along the way. I'd like to put another beer on, but I want to make sure that the contamination doesn't carry over to the new beer. The beer line I'll probably just replace, but how would you suggest cleaning the faucet and quick disconnects? The best I can think about is soaking them in oxyclean solution, then washing and sanitizing them with StarSan or something.

That doesnt sound like an infection. I would soak the keg in hot oxiclean over night though. If you still smell the previous beer in the keg I would soak it again.

After that I normally give it a good rinse with water and drain it out. Purge it with co2 and store it under pressure.

Sanitize it with star san before using it again.

That's my normal keg cleaning procedure, actually, but I appreciate the advice anyway. Was mainly wondering if I should clean the Perlick faucet*–*haven't do so since installing it about a year ago...

That's my normal keg cleaning procedure, actually, but I appreciate the advice anyway. Was mainly wondering if I should clean the Perlick faucet*–*haven't do so since installing it about a year ago...

Clean that faucet, couldn't hurt.

Take the faucet apart and clean it. Old tooth brush works well. Then soak it in some starsan or some diluted bleach. If you use bleach you will have to rise. Not sure how long to soak. Maybe an Hour. This is what i do when i think its dirty or giving my beer off flavors.

Back