Cider press questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to cider - been a beer brewer but want to make some hard cider too. So I bought a press kit and have a few questions on the juice contact side.

1) My tray has oak trim to direct the juice out front. Is there anything safe I can use to seal where the trim meets the tray? I've seen there are food-grade silicones for incidental contact but I don't think I'd coin this as incidental.

2) What are you using to seal the tray and prevent the plywood from softening up?

Thanks in advance!

Hard to tell from your question just what kind of press you have. Mine has a metal tray under the slats. The slats are hardwood and do not soften. Post a pic and maybe we can help.

I just used wax on my tray and press boards. Buy a block and rub your oak down.

I don't have it finished enough to post a pick yet - but the tray is oak ply, hopper is oak and stainless and the tray is trimmed in oak.

I bought some Howard Butcher Block Conditioner yesterday which is FDA approved for direct food contact and is basically a mineral oil with bees and carnuba wax added so I think I'll use that on the tray.

And then I found DAP makes a 100% silicone sealant (http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00000688001.pdf) that is also FDA approved and safe for food contact (once cured) so I'm thinking I'll used that to seal where my trim meets the tray.

And then I only have to figure out how to use the press! Thanks for the help.

Back