Cider not clearing and other concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I made my first batch of cider about 2 months ago and it is not clearing at all. I think I know why but am now unsure of what to do next.

Recipe/process is as follows:
WLP775
6 gallons organic apple juice (the good 'cider' type, lots of sediment and not clear)
2 lb light brown sugar
6 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp grape tannin
3 tsp yeast energizer
OG 1.068
Fermented at 68F for 1 week until 1.000, cold crashed for a few days and racked off the lees into secondary.

I think where I went wrong was I didn't allow it to finish completely before cold crashing, and I didn't know at the time that the pectic enzymes need to be mixed in 12-24 hours before pitching. Once it was in secondary I started noticing very small bubbles rising up from the bottom so I know some yeast is still working, should I be concerned about the yeast being stressed and creating bad flavors?

Additionally, I planned on stabilizing in order to back sweeten. Everything I've read says the cider has to be clear in order for kmeta to work. Is this true? If so, how should I go about getting it to clear out?

I do have a package of SafCider dry yeast I could pitch incase its as simple as I didn't allow it to fully ferment. Thanks for any and all help!

Edit: I just pulled a sample for tasting/gravity. It is now at .997 so I do believe it is finished. Taste is a little hot (expected because its now 9% (is this now wine??)...I was expecting it to be about 6, so I screwed that up) good apple flavor and I feel like a nice balance of acid and tannic.

Last edited:
If you wanted 6% ABV, you should not have added any sugar at all. Zero added sugar will still get you 6-7% ABV usually.

To clear the cider very quickly:

1) Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in your microwave.
2) Add a pack of unflavored gelatin (e.g., Knox brand).
3) Stir well to dissolve. It doesn't want to dissolve so stir for a long time.
4) Cool then add to your cider.
5) Wait 48 hours.

And voila. Your cider is now clear, and you can add sorbate to stabilize. Kmeta/Campden is optional -- it kills wild beasts but does not stabilize the yeast. Sorbate is also optional but will injure the yeast which I think is what you wanted.

I think you just need to let it sit longer. It can take cider months to clear. Patience is the hardest part of making cider!

It's the "cider" you used that's not clearing. AJ goes in clear so it comes out clear.

Use the gelatin as mentioned above, although most instructions say to not add it to boiling (pre-boiled is OK) water only warm water. You can make jello by using boiling water.

I use cider that I press in the fall instead of cider which is pasteurized and sold in the store. I find that mine usually clears up sometime between the second and third month....sometimes sooner. You can use the gelatin method listed above or give it some additional time. I have never had a batch that did not clear.

Attachments

• Cider.jpg
    Cider.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 52
If you wanted 6% ABV, you should not have added any sugar at all. Zero added sugar will still get you 6-7% ABV usually.

To clear the cider very quickly:

1) Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in your microwave.
2) Add a pack of unflavored gelatin (e.g., Knox brand).
3) Stir well to dissolve. It doesn't want to dissolve so stir for a long time.
4) Cool then add to your cider.
5) Wait 48 hours.

And voila. Your cider is now clear, and you can add sorbate to stabilize. Kmeta/Campden is optional -- it kills wild beasts but does not stabilize the yeast. Sorbate is also optional but will injure the yeast which I think is what you wanted.

I agree, I should definitely not have added sugar! This is yet another situation of me not doing enough (any, this time..) research before jumping in. If I go the gelatin route, do you suggest I gently stir it in or just gently pour it in and let it do its thing? Also, you say that K-sorbate is optional in order to stabilize the yeast. Is there another/better method to use? I'm planning to use natural apple juice concentrate to back sweeten if that matters. Thanks!

I use cider that I press in the fall instead of cider which is pasteurized and sold in the store. I find that mine usually clears up sometime between the second and third month....sometimes sooner. You can use the gelatin method listed above or give it some additional time. I have never had a batch that did not clear.

I have read in many places that fresh cider does take much longer to clear, I just wasn't expecting it to be THIS long. Almost 2 months in and it has not cleared even a little bit.. One question though, do you ever stir to degass your ciders? I read somewhere that the CO2 in suspension can be a cause of ciders not clearing. Thanks for your help!

I agree, I should definitely not have added sugar! This is yet another situation of me not doing enough (any, this time..) research before jumping in. If I go the gelatin route, do you suggest I gently stir it in or just gently pour it in and let it do its thing? Also, you say that K-sorbate is optional in order to stabilize the yeast. Is there another/better method to use? I'm planning to use natural apple juice concentrate to back sweeten if that matters.

I have read in many places that fresh cider does take much longer to clear, I just wasn't expecting it to be THIS long. Almost 2 months in and it has not cleared even a little bit.. One question though, do you ever stir to degass your ciders? I read somewhere that the CO2 in suspension can be a cause of ciders not clearing. Thanks for your help!
I don't stir once it's in the secondary. You may want to try the gelatin. I usually rack to the secondary around the one month mark and it usually starts to clear about 2 weeks after that. Within the next 4 weeks it is pretty clear. That being said, I worry less about the clearness and more about the taste. My experience with back sweetening is that it clouds the finished product but I don't worry about it. My friends never complain.

Back