Cider / Apfelwein brew won't start fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appelwoi

Reaction score
Hi, I have a beginner's question about why a demijohn full of pressed organic apple juice will not start fermenting. Other brews from (nearly) the same batch are doing fine. I've consulted threads on the subject, and none of the recommended remedies seems to work. As a beginner, I expected getting a decent result would be a challenge, but I never imagined getting fermentation to start would be difficult.

Some background... I was unexpectedly offered a large quantity of apples (eaters, variety unknown), which I had pressed (thank you, Chiltern Ridge!). [This is my official excuse for not doing much pre-planning]. I filled a 24-litre (~5 gallon) bin and two 4.5-litre (~1 gallon) glass demijohns. I added sodium metabisulphite & waited 24 hours, then added dextrose, pectalose and yeast, and fitted airlocks. The bin and one demijohn started fermenting, but the other demijohn didn't. After 2 weeks it barely has a bubble on the surface.

The awkward brew is slightly different to the others, in that it contains 1 litre of organic crabapple juice (strained after boiling, not pressed) and the others don't. Otherwise it os being kept in the same conditions as the successful brews. Thinking I may have overdosed with Na2S2O5 and/or sugar (although the other vessels are doing fine) and/or crabapple juice, I diluted it 50/50 with shop-bought apple juice. I ended up with *two* inactive demijohns (SG 1.075).

I tried adding two more doses of cider yeast (one old & generic, one new & by Youngs), but after a day of very weak activity, bubbles stopped forming. I tried warming them (they were previously at 20oC), but bubbling didn't picked up. I have ordered a pH-test-kit, but the juice does not taste acidic (it still smells and tastes like apple juice) so I'm not sure that is the problem. I even tried replacing the airlocks with fine cloth, after reading that some primaries need access to air (oxygen, maybe?). None of these efforts have had any effect.

I am going to do the following, based on tips found by reading similar threads...
1. Shake to aerate, then replace the airlocks
2. Add yet more Youngs cider yeast (I assume the previous doses have died by now), which I will start outside the demijohns, and add only after I've verified its vigour
3. Add yeast nutrient
4. Maybe add tannin (1 tea bag stewed 1/2 hour in a half-pint mug, divided between both demijohns)
5. Check pH when kit arrives, and adjust accordingly

Is it worth dosing the reluctant brews with juice from the demijohn that *is* bubbling nicely? Is there anything I might have done wrong when preparing the crabapple juice? And can anyone suggest any other tactics that I may have missed? Thanks for reading, and for any tips you may have.

Shop-bought apple juice.... did it by chance have any preservatives like sorbate?
No, just apple juice and ascorbic acid. But I added the shop-bought juice *after* having a problem getting things started

What was the starting gravity?

Unfortunately I lost the slip of paper with that written down. From memory it was 1.080, but that was before adding the shop-bought juice, so I haven't got comparable before and after readings. The AJ is now in clear glass demijohns with airlocks. There are no visible sign of bubbles in the liquid or in the airlocks, and I've checked the airlocks and bungs are firmly docked. They seem completely inactive :-(

Just take a gravity reading and see if it's still high. I had the same problem with a cyser. I ended up making a starter using a fresh packet of yeast, let it go for 24 hours and then pitched that. It took off after that.

Just take a gravity reading and see if it's still high.

The SG=1.075 figure I quoted is the current reading, after adding shop-bought AJ

I had the same problem with a cyser. I ended up making a starter using a fresh packet of yeast, let it go for 24 hours and then pitched that. It took off after that.

I did that twice already, with no success. I started a third attempt last night, having changed conditions slightly (brew is warmer & has been aerated, & yeast nutrient will be added when the yeast goes in).

Good news this morning. Yesterday I sprinkled some yeast into the two passive demijohns, and started some more yeast in sugar water. Today both brews are starting to bubble. They are certainly far more energetic than any of the three previous attempts to get things going, all of which never started, or failed very quickly.

However, I was mindful that one definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results", so simply adding more yeast was probably not going to be enough by itself. This time I altered the conditions before adding more yeast, so any or all of the following were probably beneficial... aerating by vigorous shaking, adding yeast nutrient, and (perhaps most crucially) warming. I've placed both demijohns inches from a radiator, and bubbling is noticeably strongest on the side closest to the heat (I won't leave them there indefinitely).

I did try warming at an earlier stage though, so I remain puzzled why things didn't get going earlier. Perhaps the yeast was dead when I tried it - for example, perhaps I didn't allow enough time for the gases produced by sodium metabisulphite to dissipate. I thought I'd left the demijohn covered but not sealed for 24 hours, but maybe I didn't.

Last edited:
Back