Cider and Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
So im in the process of making an apple cider and im looking to keg it to get a sweet sparkly kind of goodness. I will sweeten it with juice concentrate when its kegged but since im new to the keg game, i dont know how to go about it properly. do i need to pasteurize it or add anything to it to limit fermentation of the new sugars prior to adding the juice concentrate? or can i assume that the cold temps in my fridge will keep it to a minimum.

Check out the Cider for Beginners sticky: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=508303

There's some information on the first page regarding "backsweetening" and "sweetening" the cider. Basically, a couple of racking steps to clear the lees and minimize active yeast, stabilize the cider with campden and sorbate, sweeten in the keg, and carbonate.

It is pretty easy. Cold crash fermentor, wait a day, transfer to keg cold, stabilize (campden/sorbate), wait a day, sweeten, force carbonate, and serve.

Check out the Cider for Beginners sticky: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=508303

There's some information on the first page regarding "backsweetening" and "sweetening" the cider. Basically, a couple of racking steps to clear the lees and minimize active yeast, stabilize the cider with campden and sorbate, sweeten in the keg, and carbonate.

thank you, i had already read through that before posting. i guess what i was really asking is if using campden/sorbate was an absolute MUST, or if i could get away with not using either.

Cold temps in the fridge and keg will indeed keep fermentation to a minimum.

Even with fridge temps it might not completely stop fermentation after adding additional sugar. (That's how we bottle carb just at a warmer temp) So unless you do add (Potassium-metabisulfite and potassium sorbate) it could re-start. (Not at all very likely with fridge temps, but could)

The great thing about kegging is that it would take care of any pressure from re-fermentation (if any at all were to take place) as the CO2 released at worst would lift your relief valve on the keg and at best would not require as much CO2 to keep it carbonated.

Cold temps in the fridge and keg will indeed keep fermentation to a minimum.

Even with fridge temps it might not completely stop fermentation after adding additional sugar. (That's how we bottle carb just at a warmer temp) So unless you do add (Potassium-metabisulfite and potassium sorbate) it could re-start. (Not at all very likely with fridge temps, but could)

The great thing about kegging is that it would take care of any pressure from re-fermentation (if any at all were to take place) as the CO2 released at worst would lift your relief valve on the keg and at best would not require as much CO2 to keep it carbonated.

Thank you, with that in mind i would just wonder how long it would take to eat up all the sugars used for sweetening. the cider will probable be long gone at that point.

I'm currently drinking the end of a cider keg that has been fantastic. I have never done a campden/sorbate - however I also like extremely dry ciders - so there's not really any sugar left for fermentation. The keg is kept cold and under about 5-10psi from CO2. So no, I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary.

That said, I have another batch that I added raspberry to for some flavor. And it needs a bit of sweetness, otherwise the raspberry flavor just tastes like cough medicine. So when I transfer to the keg, I'm looking at sweetening it a bit. In my case I still don't want to campden/sorbate - so I'm looking to add just a small bit of non-fermenting sweetener like Xylitol.

Stabilizing is necessary if you back sweeten with a ferment-able sugar.
Is there a reason you don't want to stabilize, do you have allergies to sulfites or something?

There are many non-fermentable sweeteners out there like Sucralose, Xylitol, and Lactose.

I've gotten away with not stabilizing, providing it's kept cold enough. The key is to get the cider clear of all yeast first - either by cold crashing, fining, or just letting it clear on its own - before sweetening. But even though I keg now, I still stabilize it because I like to have the option of bottling from the keg. If a batch comes out particularly good I'll bottle some and share with friends.

I can't tolerate sulfites well. Can I pasteurize force carb'd bottles? Dobt see why not and I understand it is more work but if I can't do sulfites is that my only options if I'm adding fermentatable sugar?

I can't tolerate sulfites well. Can I pasteurize force carb'd bottles? Dobt see why not and I understand it is more work but if I can't do sulfites is that my only options if I'm adding fermentatable sugar?

Keep in mind that added sulfites are used as antioxidants, so if you don't want to use them that's fine but the cider may not last as long (if you were planning on aging it a long time).

Sulfites are a natural byproduct of fermentation, so there are always some sulfites in any cider or wine. There are far more sulfites in a package of raisins than in a cider (even if some are added), so if you can eat raisins or other dried fruits, the amount of sulfites in a homemade wine or cider is far less and shouldn't present any problems at all.

Back