Chuck P's Starter mod.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlaw3000

Reaction score
So... I have read Mr. Charles' section on preparing yeast starters and as you know it is a bit different then what most people do now to make 'em (his method... 6oz starter wort in sanitized 12 oz bottles... cap em.... save them... pitch slurry into them and airlock before brew day) seems like a very small starter though.

I really liked the part about having sanitary wort on hand to make starters with so I did the following... please let me know if anyone sees a problem in this method (I'm new to yeast washing and starters).

1. Boiled 40oz of wort for 15 minutes (should be around 1.04-05 OG) with pale DME.

2. Sanitized 3 mason jars with star-san.

3. Poured boiling hot wort into 3 12oz mason jars and capped immediately sanitizing lids with spray bottle again.

4. Let cool to room temp, lids "popped" down showing a good seal, put in fridge for storage.

Day before brewing I plan to sanitize a growler, pour a room temp sanitary wort jar into it followed by proper amount of room temp slurry of "washed" yeast followed by airlock...

Any gaps or problems you see with this plan?

(I know 12 oz isn't standard but its what I had to work with)

Personally, I'd use a pressure cooker. There are bugs that can survive boiling temperatures, and they are some of the nasty ones. You're basically giving them a buffet with no competition. I wouldn't say it's likely you'll get anything bad, but there is a small chance. If you sterilize in a pressure cooker, they'll be shelf stable too so you'll have more room in your fridge for beer and they will last longer. Plus you won't risk spilling boiling wort on yourself. Either way you do it do not use the wort if the lid pops back up.

There are bugs that can survive boiling temperatures, and they are some of the nasty ones. You're basically giving them a buffet with no competition.

^0.o Really!?

No pressure cooker :-(.... wouldn’t the bugs surviving boil be a problem if going straight from stove-top to ice-bath to starter? Or not because your are pitching yeast as "competition"

They get out competed. The likelihood of you getting something in your jars is really low, especially if it has to survive boiling hot and refrigeration. I just wanted to let you know that it is a possibility. Try it out that way, and if you make a lot of starters and like having wort readily available, maybe think about investing in one. I got mine off of Craigslist for $25.

Really, the part of your process I would be most worried about is pouring the boiling liquid. Just seems probe to a painful accident.

Back