Christmas porter - thoughts on recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinn

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Christmas porter. I'm hoping for a smooth beer with a subtle vanilla licorice taste.

Thoughts on this recipe?

American 2-row (9.5)
Chocolate malt (1.25)
Black patent (.250)
Weyermann CARAFA Type 1 (0.5)
Crystal 80L (0.5)

Galena (.5oz)
Cascade (.25oz)
Mt. Hood (.25oz)

Lactose (0.5lb)
Star anise (0.5 gram)
Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
Cinamon (1/2 teaspoon)
Clove (1 whole)

Notthingham yeast

Looks good to me...

I brew a similar Christmas ale: Winter Seasonal Beer - Christmas Ale

very similar grain bill ( I add honey & molasses, though) and similar spices (orange zest and ginger instead of Anise)...
Give yourself an extra couple of weeks of conditioning time. The spices need a little time to fully come together, I found.

Grains seem fine. Turns out I enjoy a lot of brown malt in my porter but I can't say you'll suffer without it and the point is the spices anyhow.

For the hops, why 3, and when will you add them? You might consider just a bittering charge at the beginning of the boil and skip the rest. A late addition would be nice for a "normal" recipe, but with the spices...

It’s a lot of roast. Maybe nix the Carafa (what is it doing for you?). And I’d always use Maris Otter over 2-row in a porter or stout.

I’ve used 1 g/gallon cinnamon in a light beer and couldn’t really taste it. But it’s always a good idea to go too light with spices rather than too heavy…

You didn’t say, but I’d add the spices no earlier than flame out and probably at 160 for 5 or 10 minutes instead. Vanilla can go in at room temperature.

Back