Christmas Brew Flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkern42

Reaction score
Background/Experience: its my third batch, done two Coopers (1 Lager, 1 IPA, both carbonated fine), this one is Muntons Lager.

Details: started on 12/10. After 7 days in the 23L (6 USG) bucket (primary fermenter with airlock), I bottled into my 450 and 500ml flip-tops, each primed with 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar. I normally use white but used brown mixed with spices for a "Christmas" flavor.

Problem: I mixed 12 teaspoons brown sugar with the spices. Somehow that sugar mix extended into 48 pints instead of 24. I meant to spice half, not all the beer: perhaps drinking leftover IPA while bottling made me forget & ignore the issue :drunk:. I tried one on 12/24 (both coopers were ready by day 14), and it had extremely low level of carbonation, virtually flat but not completely. Opened a second one, with more sediment, it had more carbonation, still far less than the two coopers batches. Reading other threads here, I decided to re-agitate (tip/swirl) and warm the beer for a week to encourage further bottle fermentation.

Question: If not ready on 12/31 would adding an additional 1/4 teaspoon white per pint be in order with another tip/warm routine? I really am worried that I "under" primed, brown sugar is NOT consistent per volume like white (lesson learned :().

Thanks

Although you left a lot of information, I'm not sure I understand exactly what happened. It seems you took 12 t sugar, intended for 24 bottles, and divided it between 48. Is that right? If so, you cut the sugar in half. Plus, if you measured 12 t sugar out, mixed in spices and then doled out 1/2 t of mixture into each beer, you also cut the amount of sugar (because the spice cut the weight/volume of sugar in each t).

Either way, it seems you under-primed. Open them and add sugar before too long. And, perform the operation under a CO2 blanket. What?!? You don't have one?!? Oh well. It will prob be ok ;)

In the future, try batch priming and measuring the sugar in weight, rather than in volume. You will get more consistent results.

@Grizzlybrew: you got it (and sorry for the rambling/tmi post). i just finished "re-priming" 22 of the remaining 47 pints. they all had better "pop" so i put one in the fridge as another test for later. seems the re-agitation/warming had some effect. i have 24 i left "un-primed" and may or may not re-prime those tonight based on the "tester".

side note, since they all poped a bit better, i chickened out and used 1/8 instead of 1/4 tsp after the first couple. you gotta be quick with re-sealing after adding the sugar, they fizz up quickly. thats also encouraging i think...

Back