Chocolate Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered Cacao Nibs? 4 ounces in a 5 gallon batch is what I am currently using.

Although, a lot of people seem to have good luck with powder as well. Not too sure about the syrup though.

I use both powder and nibs. For 5 gallons I use 8oz of powder at 5 mins and 4oz of nibs soaked in vanilla vodka in secondary

DopeyBrew I like your style! Tell me more! How long do you soak them? How long do you keep them in secondary?

I used 1 oz bakers chocolate last 10 minutes of the boil and soak 4 oz of nibs in vodka in a small mason jar for 3-4 days. I use just enough vodka to cover them. I also add a vanilla bean sliced, scraped, and chopped to the vodka and nibs. Something about the vanilla makes you brain think of chocolate. Dump the mixture in your secondary and let the magic happen!

I've also read that a vanilla bean with the chocolate is a good idea. I've never done it. What I have done is close, I suppose. I do 4 oz. of cocoa nibs soaked in VANILLA VODKA for a day or two prior to adding the entire mixture (nibs + vodka) to secondary. Use enough vodka to cover the nibs. The next day the nibs will be all kind of gooey and stuff 'cause the nibs soak up the vodka so while initially there will be vodka on top of the nibs, by the time you rack all that liquid will be in the nibs themselves. Dump that gooey goodness in your secondary and wait 2 weeks. I just bottled NB's chocolate milk stout last night doing this and it was my best sample ever. I really enjoy flat, warm beer - that's all I needed to know!

DopeyBrew I like your style! Tell me more! How long do you soak them? How long do you keep them in secondary?

I usually soak them for 3-4 days on average. I use enough vodka to keep them covered. In regards to adding vanilla or using vanilla flavored vodka. I prefer the flavored vodka. It has a more constant flavor profile that I can count on. My usual type of flavored vodka is Skyy Vanilla Bean. Its a bit pricy but there is a lack of harshness that can come from using a cheaper vodka(less time aging).

I let them soak for 2 weeks in secondary(nibs and all).

Latest posts

Back