Chlorophenols..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have alt least now identified the off flavor in several if my last brews. Four of my recently brewed beers have chlorophenols from my city adding chloromine to the water supply. Three are kegged and one is bottled. Are there any ways to remove chlorophenols from kegged beer?

Sadly, no. The Chlorine is bound to phenols permanently.

You need to treat all your brewing water with 1/4 (crushed) Campden tablet, or a good pinch of K-Meta, per 5 gallons before using it. It removes all chlorine and/or chloramines within a minute after a good stir to dissolve the powder and disperse.

Sometimes dry hopping can help overshadow the off flavors. Or adding some fruit juice to a glass.

IslandLizard, thanks. In the past, activated charcoal filtration was sufficient for how they were treating the local water, but they've evidently changed their practices and I'm going to have to start using Camden tablets. I have noticed that if I pour aggressively off the tap and allow a large head to develop and then dissipate that the chlorophenol presence is lower, I may pour the beers that way or take the carbonated keg shake it to dissipate CO2 and try to bleed some of that off and see if that remove some of the chlorophenols.

IslandLizard, thanks. In the past, activated charcoal filtration was sufficient for how they were treating the local water, but they've evidently changed their practices and I'm going to have to start using Camden tablets. I have noticed that if I pour aggressively off the tap and allow a large head to develop and then dissipate that the chlorophenol presence is lower, I may pour the beers that way or take the carbonated keg shake it to dissipate CO2 and try to bleed some of that off and see if that remove some of the chlorophenols.

Charcoal can filter chlorine, but the flow needs to be quite slow, depending on concentration. Less than a gallon per minute usually. It cannot filter chloramines.

Many municipalities switch to chloramines because they remain effective longer, which saves them money while delivering sanitized water at the exit points, your faucets.

If aggressive pouring or blowing off with CO2 dissipates your chlorophenols it's worth doing. Better than dumping.

I really wish people knew to add that pinch of Campden/K-Meta to their municipal brewing water to prevent a large problem later. All municipal water in the U.S. is chlorinated one way or the other. If you have well water, well, chlorine is not an issue, and if you're lucky, it's not rock hard or filled with iron, manganese and other minerals. Chlorine/chloramines are the easiest to remove of everything.

And Campden is so CHEAP. I bought a bag of I think 50 tablets for less than 4$ at the LHBS and that will last me a LONNNNNNNG time.

I am at an age where brewing with city tap water just doesn't do it for me anymore. This forum has helped me to understand quality in so many ways. Like you, this was pointed out to me and I tried camden, meh. Ro and or spring water would be my recommendation. I live in denver, known to have some of the best water in the country, and still, blah. Even if it's only perception. I think the place that hurt most was staling not that I could say why. Anyways I am sure at some point I'll rig up a filtration system to save time and money but right now I enjoy going out and picking water. A little tangential, water is one key secret to Quality beer imo. Give it a try, brew with the best spring water you can find and then report back. But yes, camden to remove what ails your water. 1/4 tablet per 5g as stated sounds right.

If only commercial "spring water" came with a brewing quality water report.
Probably only matters for very light color brews, but still, how does one condition water for specific styles when one knows zero about it?

Imo, the ultimate solution is a home RO system. Makes everything dead simple...

Cheers!

Great points day trippr. Ro at home seems convenient and a trust worthy process. I am coming from this perspective. Here is a pic of some of m. chois awards in home brewing, ice wines, melomels, meads, and beers. His first mead scored a perfect score in a competition by a famous judge. He has gone back to back golds as well. Iirc when asked he said he didnt know what was in his water, but when he quit using it he stopped winning. Iirc correctly he uses that water for everything. This is more what interests me and I hope to find my own special spring some day.

View attachment 1507691716528.jpg

Back