campden in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btaz

Reaction score
I use campden to pretreat my water to remove chloromine. Recently I've been doing a partial brew method where I add ice at the end to get to the right volume and chill the beer. If I add campden to the wort at the same time I add the ice will it still remove/breakdown the chloromine? I am concerned the campden might react with other things in the wort and end up not removing the chloromine as desired,but I don't understand the chemistry of things here. thank you.

I don't know the answer to your question. What I have done is to treat water ahead of time with campden (and maybe a short boil) then filled a few 1 gallon jugs that I put in the fridge. Maybe not as effective as ice, but has worked reasonably well. You could also treat the water you use to make the ice.

I usually make my gallon of must/wort and then add a campden tablet to kill any nasties. Wait 24hrs before pitching the yeast. I've never had anything react with the must

If I add campden to the wort at the same time I add the ice will it still remove/breakdown the chloromine?

Yes, at least partially, but...

I am concerned the campden might react with other things in the wort and end up not removing the chloromine as desired,but I don't understand the chemistry of things here.

I wouldn't be too worried that the campden will react with other things. I'd be more worried that some of the chloramine from your ice is reacting with phenols in the wort (making chlorophenols) in parallel with some of the chloramine reacting with the campden. The reactions take time.

Treat the water before you make the ice.
I'm using the ice made by my refrigerator. it makes just enough to chill to ~90F for a 5G partial boil (then i place it in my fermentation chamber and pitch the next morning)

Yes, at least partially, but...

I wouldn't be too worried that the campden will react with other things. I'd be more worried that some of the chloramine from your ice is reacting with phenols in the wort (making chlorophenols) in parallel with some of the chloramine reacting with the campden. The reactions take time.
interesting thought. i've done this a few times and haven't noticed anything bad, but still wonder about the real chemistry taking place.

That's really not a good idea. I use filtered and boiled water to make ice in sanitized food containers if I'm going to add it directly to wort.
i prepared ice before to do it "right", but i figure the risk of contamination is pretty low and so far have good results after 6 brew days with this method (my version of brulosophy's short and shoddy). still i wonder if the campden is really doing what i want it to do our not when added to wort.

Back