Chilling ~2BBL batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhand65

Reaction score
I am putting together my new brew-house. The rig is in the shop being welded, soon to be ready. I have (3) March AC-3B-MD pumps to use for all my pumping needs (10 gpm).

The only thing I haven't fully figured out is my method of chilling.

I have been considering either a counter-flow vs plate chiller (probably from dudadiesel.com) and am not sure what is best. To cut down on costs I was thinking of recirculating water with a fountain pump from my pool which is consistently under 65 deg F. Right now it is probably closer to 60F!

If we were to thoroughly rinse and clean either the CFC or plate chiller would there be any concern for corrosion or other problems like leaching? My pool is not heavily chlorinated.

In either circumstance is one chiller more efficient than the other?

How many plates would I need for a plate chiller? I have been thinking the B3-23A 40 plate by dudadiesel might be apt but the wort flow numbers aren't aligned with my pump rate. Would this be an issue?

I have two buddies that own microbreweries with 1bbl systems. One has a 90 plate chiller that he runs ice water through, which chills 1bbl in about 15-16 minutes.

I have a 30 plate chiller for my 5-10 gallon batches. It'll do the job, but you really have to slow down the water flow. I don't think a 40 plate chiller would do a 2bbl batch in under an hour unless you got the water pretty close to freezing. You really need the biggest one you can get your hands on.

The other has a closed system that runs 15F glycol through a stainless steel immersion coil, which chills 1bbl in closer to 12 minutes.

Obviously, the glycol system is quite a bit more expensive than the plate chiller.

Just my opinion, but if you are dropping the dough to fund a 2bbl brewery, don't skimp and recirculate water from your pool. You might have a low clorine pool, but none-the-less clorine will pit stainless steel and corrode copper, so that's not your long-term solution. At the very least, suck it up and have a dedicated water source.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to skimp on the chilling just honestly wasn't sure the right size I needed.

I'm finding 90 plate chillers to be $500+, and was hoping to be around $300. Oh well. How much you think a glycol system would be?

I have a stout tank kettle with whirlpool so I was probably going to recirculate before directly racking in to the fermenters.

clorine will pit stainless steel and corrode copper,

Chlorine doesn't corrode copper. If it did how would you explain all the copper plumbing in houses?

I would build a counter flow chiller and use the pool water.

I brew on a 3bbl system and am running an Alfa Laval M3-VG plate style heat exchange and it works great. we do ales so only need to pass from boil temp of approx 205-210 down to 64 degrees on average, but I have tested it down to 50 degrees using nothing more than tap water from a food grade hose which returns to the liquor tank to refill it.

Regular cleaning and sanitization is needed and once or twice a year I tear it down for a deep clean and inspection but you could get away with once a year or once every 18 months as long ass you do a good whirlpool to keep trub and hops from entering it.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to skimp on the chilling just honestly wasn't sure the right size I needed.

I'm finding 90 plate chillers to be $500+, and was hoping to be around $300. Oh well. How much you think a glycol system would be?

I have a stout tank kettle with whirlpool so I was probably going to recirculate before directly racking in to the fermenters.

Glycol gets spendy in a hurry, but the plus is that you can set it and forget it pretty much as it will shut itself on and off when it hits target range or flutuates from that. This depends on the tolerence set in the electronics of course but very mindless system once you get it set up.

Using a hose you have to have an inline thermometer and addjust the water flow according to output temp. It iss easy but you have to babysit it a bit more and is considerably cheaper than a Glycol system.

Back