Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some interesting discussion here. My chili has always been made with beans. But I think that is because that is just how my mom made hers.

I don't have a set chili recipe, it is always a "play it by ear" type of thing. I've never made a "trash can chili" like some of the posters in here have (as in using up leftovers).

Here are the basics:
Meat, which varies. I like to use cubed venison, but ground venison, beef, Italian sausage, and bacon have all found their way into the pot. Sometimes combinations. My current batch has cubed steak, sausage, and bacon in it.
Beans, again this varies. Chili beans, kidney beans, black beans, and a few others I don't remember the names of. Kidney beans being the most common.
Tomatoes. Preferably from the garden, even if they are canned. My current batch has a jar of smoked tomatoes and another of regular.
Chili powder (need to start making my own, I just buy it premade right now)
Cayenne powder.
Fresh peppers
Onion.

Things that may find their way in:
Beer
Cocoa
Dark chocolate
Cinnamon
Other vegetables, though I haven't tried corn.

Serving time adds fresh green onions, cheese, and sour cream.

I'm going to have to try making a white and green chili sometime. And maybe try some of the recipes in this thread.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

Terlingua Advanced Research Chili
1 Ancho pepper
5.49 lb Beef brisket
1 Bell pepper, orange
1 Chile de árbol
1 Chipotle pepper
1 pint Drom John AHS Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout
1 head Garlic
1 tbs. Ginger, chopped
1 Habanero pepper
1 Jalapeño pepper
1 New Mexico pepper, dried
1 medium Onion, red
1 medium Onion, white
1 medium Onion, yellow
2 Poblano peppers
2 Serrano peppers
1 Shallot
2 oz. Tamarind paste
1 Vidalia onion

Today for a chili cook-off at work. My chili never wins, 1/2 a vote combined in 12 years. My first year, I'd give a ladles worth and then watch people trash the contents after one bite. Now I offer only a 1/2 teaspoon at first approach. Then if anybody like it, they can have as much as they want. No dumping, and I always come home with an empty crockpot.
This is my general style of chili. Details change depending on the quality of the produce.

Dromjohn, that looks awesome!

It has to be HOT. I like it hot, but generally don't go that hot unless it is for some SERIOUS chili heads.

Can you verify that you meant a whole head of garlic and not a clove? A whole head seems like an awful lot.

I really like my chili any way. Beans, no beans, spaghetti, macaroni, etc. Doesn't matter to me. The only thing I hate is when it has huge chunks of tomatoes in it.

I really like my chili any way. Beans, no beans, spaghetti, macaroni, etc. Doesn't matter to me. The only thing I hate is when it has huge chunks of tomatoes in it.

In my opinion, if it still has recognizable chunks of tomato it obviously hasn't been cooked long enough.

I like beans in my chili. I use dried, often various kinds. And at least a 1/2 lb of fresh Habanero peppers....

What I do:
1 lb dried beans (Red Kidney, Black beans, etc), cleaned, put in small pot with a beer of makers choice. Raise to boil, turn off, cover, and let sit until all other non-meat ingredients are cooking.

Rest of the ingredients:
1 cup chopped onion or shallot
several (6 ish) cloves of garlic, chopped
1 bag of pre-skinned carrots, each cut in half (or suitable substitute)
1 large green sweet pepper, chopped
6 Jalepeno peppers, chopped
2 cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes
1/2 lb fresh Habanero peppers
3 lbs of cubed beef (whatever you want to use)
1/2 lb Chorizo sausage, cut up
A healthy dash of cumin
Olive oil

In a large pot, saute onion 10 minutes, then add garlic for one minute. Add carrot chunks and stir for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to simmer. Add green pepper and jalepenos. The habaneros can be processed in a food processor or chopped, but either way add them as well. Now pour in the beans along with all the juice (it is made from beer after all!). Add cumin.

In a skillet, brown beef cubes and add to pot (I just cook the beef in its own juice but whatever works for you). If using fresh chorizo, cook and cut up, add to pot. If it is dried, cut up and add to pot.

Let simmer for 5 or so hours. Serve it any way you want.

Note: I do not add salt. Cooking meat and tomatoes for extended periods produces MSG, rendering flavor enhancers unnecessary.

My #2 son kept doing that,& wound up in the hospital with a growth in his stomach from the hot peppers (Scorpians,ghost chilis,etc)eating into his stomach lining. He gave me a crap ton of lil bottles of hot sauces. The green chili one was good. gotta look at the label & get some more. I used to make my HOLY SHIZZNITS! chili when the kids would get a cold,the flu,etc. It had a bunch of 3 or 4 different forms of Cayenne pepper in it. If you could keep a bowl or two down today,you'd be well enough to go to school or work the next day. I guess it made the lil nasties go belly-up over night? #2 son swore by it...I think I created a monster that darn near destroyed itself...:drunk:

My #2 son kept doing that,& wound up in the hospital with a growth in his stomach from the hot peppers (Scorpians,ghost chilis,etc)eating into his stomach lining. He gave me a crap ton of lil bottles of hot sauces. The green chili one was good. gotta look at the label & get some more. I used to make my HOLY SHIZZNITS! chili when the kids would get a cold,the flu,etc. It had a bunch of 3 or 4 different forms of Cayenne pepper in it. If you could keep a bowl or two down today,you'd be well enough to go to school or work the next day. I guess it made the lil nasties go belly-up over night? #2 son swore by it...I think I created a monster that darn near destroyed itself...:drunk:

Actually ghost chilis are prescribed to re-grow stomach lining. It might hurt, but it only hurts ulcers that were already there, and actually stimulates the lining to grow back.

The dr was a dipsnot, or you misunderstood.

Can you verify that you meant a whole head of garlic and not a clove? A whole head seems like an awful lot.

My chili always starts with a 5-ish pound brisket and a whole head of garlic. The rest are variables.

"Garlic is as good as ten mothers."

My chili always starts with a 5-ish pound brisket and a whole head of garlic. The rest are variables.

"Garlic is as good as ten mothers."

Ok. I wasn't sure if that was a typo or not. I don't recall ever using more than 2 cloves in any recipe I've used, so that seemed like a bit much.

I might have to try a more "traditional" style chili sometime.

I think Troy's lookin' to bogart someone else's boat.

BTW - Y'all have inspired me to do this chilimaking thing. Wish me luck!

View attachment 164673

Damn, I'm starting to realize that I've never made 'real' chili before. And here I thought chili meant ground chuck, a few cans of tomatoes and tomato paste, and a seasoning packet. I'm definitely going to revisit this chili idea. I know what my project for this weekend is now! :rockin:

Vegetarian chili with navy, pinto, black and kidney beans, celery, onion, red and green peppers, couple cans of diced green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes and charred/skinned poblano peppers. Bay leaf, chili powder and smoked paprika, cumin. Serve with plain Greek yogurt as sour cream substitute, fresh cilantro and shredded Mexican artisan cheese. I love a crisp well hopped beer like Deschutes with spicier food. Just made this 2 days ago. Yummy

Most of the recipes in this thread are looking awesome! Except for the ones that look like they could keep giving for days...

Most of the recipes in this thread are looking awesome! Except for the ones that look like they could keep giving for days...

I was thinking the same thing. I think I'll pick up some Beano at the same time I buy the rest of the ingredients. I'm still really interested in this brisket chili idea.

Vegetarian chili with navy, pinto, black and kidney beans, celery, onion, red and green peppers, couple cans of diced green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes and charred/skinned poblano peppers. Bay leaf, chili powder and smoked paprika, cumin. Serve with plain Greek yogurt as sour cream substitute, fresh cilantro and shredded Mexican artisan cheese. I love a crisp well hopped beer like Deschutes with spicier food. Just made this 2 days ago. Yummy

Used to do this recipe with chorizo but not since I found out how many auction horses end up in Mexico for slaughter. Horse meat can be tainted with bute and I've always been leery of any ground meat product. Anyhow, I will say that the chorizo tastes fantastic if you're a meat eater. Don't ask how or why but I don't seem to suffer the gas thing and even my husband hasn't been any gassier than norm from this recipe.

I'm sure it's tasty but what you have there is bean salad, not chili. ;)

I'm sure it's tasty but what you have there is bean salad, not chili. ;)

Beergnome made chili con frijoles, which is a chili dish. Chili is only the pepper base. What you are probably expecting is 'chile con carne' which is literally translated as 'chili with meat' which is what most Americans think of when they hear the word 'chili'. Technically anything made with a chili base is 'chili', and you should tag on whatever else you put in there to the name. Examples:
Chili con carne (with meat)
Chili con carne y frijoles (with meat and beans)

Yeah, I understand that you were probably just teasing, but I couldn't resist explaining. I'm nerdy like that ;)

Since I'm not Tex/Mex or in the southwest, chili for us is more like a stew than an authentic con carne. I used to live in New Mexico so I do know the difference. I see you are talking "serious" chili. As a health nut I like a diversified nutrient laden ingredient list. Let you know how this pot of pazole turns out.

I don't get the "keep giving for days" and I am a little unclear on the MSG. so MSG is naturally occurring??? (yes I posess googles and the interwebz, but I like you guys better ;))

I don't get the "keep giving for days" and I am a little unclear on the MSG. so MSG is naturally occurring??? (yes I posess googles and the interwebz, but I like you guys better ;))

Keeps giving for days = gas, farts, toots, butt burps, spider barks, ass music.

I also wonder about the MSG production thing. I wonder if he is talking about the L-glutamate found naturally in foods?

I applied a bit of google fu to the question and came up with a few posts just like the one above with someone mentioning it and never backing it up. No science papers, no chefs talking about it, nothing. Here is a quote from About.com:

Since its discovery, three methods have been used to produce MSG: vegetable protein hydrolysis, direct chemical synthesis, and bacterial fermentation.

I thought maybe vegetable protein hydrolysis might be the culprit in cooking but after following that path I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be it either. I'm calling bunk on this one until someone can prove otherwise.

I applied a bit of google fu to the question and came up with a few posts just like the one above with someone mentioning it and never backing it up. No science papers, no chefs talking about it, nothing. Here is a quote from About.com:

Since its discovery, three methods have been used to produce MSG: vegetable protein hydrolysis, direct chemical synthesis, and bacterial fermentation.

I thought maybe vegetable protein hydrolysis might be the culprit in cooking but after following that path I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be it either. I'm calling bunk on this one until someone can prove otherwise.

Your google FU is STRONG.

I've got a good recipe that I've entered into competition twice with one win and one tie for first. My issue is a pot of it runs me about $100 or so which is why I don't make it very often.

Latest posts

Back