Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Got a man date Saturday (buddy of mine and I get together if neither of us has a date or otherwise occupied) and we play Axis and Allies or COD and make gourmet something or other.

His turn to pick and he says,...."SPICY CHILI!!"

I say, "Got some!"

He says, "SWEET!".................

(He don't know me very well.......DO HE?????)

I will take maybe 1/2 gallon of what I got, add in a ghost chili to stew all day, sit back and watch the hilarity ensue!!!

He loves my homebrew.......

On tap I have my session "Orange Ale" SWEET!!!! He will get 1 of those.

My other tap, a raisiny good stout at roughly 11% ABV...I simply call ass kicker. He will get a bottomless mug of that to douse his flaming head with.....MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHa!!!!

once you get heavy bombers, Axis and Allies is over....

once you get heavy bombers, Axis and Allies is over....

Ha ha! Spoken like a true Alpha nerd.

We got rid of ALL upgrades, because, YES, they end the game in a hurry.

Then again, too many heavy bombers of my 11% stout and nobody feels like playing anyways!

Ah yes, heavy bombers.
20130114_193158.jpg

I prefer my beans intact personally.

Looks awesome chefrex! I'll forgive the no beans in that green chile, cilantro infused awesomeness......what? this pic? Why...yes, yes. Those are my german tanks razing moscow...

ForumRunner_20130908_163407.png

cheezydemon3 said:
Agreed! Those little yellow cubes and powders start to look surprisingly like a budweiser can next to the real deal.

I have done it with a BUNCH of leftover crab and shrimp shells also.

SF stock or Turkey stock takes my gumbo to another level!

When I get back to NOLA next summer, bet your ass I will be making Mudbug stock with regularity!

I like chili Verde, which should definitely not have beans. I also prefer red chili without beans, but like chili with beans as well. Dammit, I'll eat anything labeled "chili".

I like chili Verde, which should definitely not have beans. I also prefer red chili without beans, but like chili with beans as well. Dammit, I'll eat anything labeled "chili".

ME TOO!!!!

People who take a side in the "chicago/new york" pizza debate are intentionally retarded.

Why deprive yourself of one good thing just because you prefer something els a little more?

cheezydemon3 said:
ME TOO!!!!

People who take a side in the "chicago/new york" pizza debate are intentionally retarded.

Why deprive yourself of one good thing just because you prefer something els a little more?

Mmmmm chili verde......mmmmmm....,..Chicago pizza.......mmmmm New York pizza.......mmmmmmm

cheezydemon3 said:
ME TOO!!!!

We have a pizza place here that makes an awesome chile verde pizza. Get there before 7pm and you can also enjoy a 28oz mug of Firestone Walker Union Jack for just $3!

I think I'm going to whip up a pot of chili this evening, I've got some cheap steaks and pork chops and other necessary ingredients so its going to be kind of a clean-out-the-freezer-and-pantry type of chili.

Tonights chili:

988278_602800013096396_231567800_n.jpg

Cheap steaks and pork chops cut into cubes, bacon, chili powder, red pepper flakes, onion finely diced, smoked paprika, fire roasted canned tomatoes, cayenne, jalapeno salt, adobo, Frank's hot sauce, sriracha, tequila, orange juice, beef broth. I didn't really follow any recipe, I just winged it. The meat got tender enough after simmering for a couple hours that I could break it apart with a wooden spoon, and the tomatoes and onion basically dissolved.

Tonights chili:

988278_602800013096396_231567800_n.jpg

Cheap steaks and pork chops cut into cubes, bacon, chili powder, red pepper flakes, onion finely diced, smoked paprika, fire roasted canned tomatoes, cayenne, jalapeno salt, adobo, Frank's hot sauce, sriracha, tequila, orange juice, beef broth. I didn't really follow any recipe, I just winged it. The meat got tender enough after simmering for a couple hours that I could break it apart with a wooden spoon, and the tomatoes and onion basically dissolved.
That looks awful.
Newton's 3rd law of Chili said:
The desirability of the flavor of chili is inversely proportionate to it's appearance.
So, it should be good.

I find the best chili is crockpot chili. Not only does it make awesome eating, but you can start it in the morning before you leave for work, and when you get home the whole house smells of chili!

My recipe loosely is:

2lbs beef. Preferably skirt or chuck, diced into 2 inch cubes. Ground beef works just fine too, but you lose out in texture.
2 large onions, sliced fine.
1 large red pepper, roughly chopped.
1 can of kidney beans
2 Oxo cubes
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons hot chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 pint of water
1 pint of dark beer

You can brown the beef ahead of time, but unless you can get a really good sear on it then it's not worth it IME. Throw it all into the crock pot, turn it on low and leave it all day.

If you have the patience, freezing it for a month then re-heating it makes it even better.

That looks awful.
So, it should be good.

It looked nasty but it was good, there was something kind of sandy and gritty that I think may have been some seasoning that chipped off my dutch oven from the use of tomatoes and OJ though. It came out to about 3 quarts, we ate 1 quart, put 1 quart in the fridge for left overs this week, and food savered the final quart and stuck it in the deep freeze for later.

Its almost chili season! I may be doing my first one of the fall in the next couple weeks. I dont normally follow any directions with my chili. Start out with an equal split of beef, ground turkey, and sausage. Then add some tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, beans, onions and start putting in spices. I taste it continually and just keep adding different spices until its to my liking. Iv found cilantro is an ingredient I won't go without anymore

I love chili! This thread got me to put it in rotation earlier than normal, not that i'm complaining :D
Latest version, will simmer till tomorrow.

IMG_0649.jpg

PeteNMA said:
I find the best chili is crockpot chili. Not only does it make awesome eating, but you can start it in the morning before you leave for work, and when you get home the whole house smells of chili! My recipe loosely is: 2lbs beef. Preferably skirt or chuck, diced into 2 inch cubes. Ground beef works just fine too, but you lose out in texture. 2 large onions, sliced fine. 1 large red pepper, roughly chopped. 1 can of kidney beans 2 Oxo cubes 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper 1 tablespoon garlic powder 2 teaspoons hot chili powder 1 teaspoon cumin 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon oregano 2 cans of diced tomatoes 1 pint of water 1 pint of dark beer You can brown the beef ahead of time, but unless you can get a really good sear on it then it's not worth it IME. Throw it all into the crock pot, turn it on low and leave it all day. If you have the patience, freezing it for a month then re-heating it makes it even better.

This sounds delicious, definitely going to have to try this recipe.

No recipe unless you want to poke around in some gray matter.
Cleaning out the garden, ground beef, leftover pulled pork, tomatoes, tomatillos,Poblanos,sweet,Habanero peppers,onion, garlic, pinto beans soaked in a pepper beer over night, spices.
Will be tasting and adjusting as it simmers.

Yeah, we're having a party Saturday and will be making a pot. Generally, we make it vegan (red, black and pinto beans, crushed roasted tomatoes, chili powder, onions) split it and add meat to most of it. As the result of my wife's son complaining that the chili wasn't hot enough, she has developed "Booster Spice":

4 jalapenos
2 habanero
2 Serrano

Remove stems and puree with a little sauce from the chili. Put it in the small crock pot and simmer for 6 hours. Despite the warning sign, almost every time someone tries to eat a spoonful.

Made a chili yesterday as I had to use up some ground pork. I followed my normal recipe but due to not having several ingredients to hand I had to get creative. I used pickled onions, pickled garlic and pickled pepper instead of fresh, ketchup instead of tomato puree and rowan berry relish to give it sweetness instead of sugar. Turned out rather well!

This:

4Gps8.jpg

Turned into this:

4GpsB.jpg

Nothing makes a great chilli like a thick cast iron pan or dutch oven, other things will work but it's not the same.

Picked mine up for $5 at a garage sale beautifully pre seasoned.
She had just sold another a few moments earlier and could not understand my excitement. i'm not sure if my father still has the family pot or if one of my siblings has it, cast iron rocks:rockin:

Picked mine up for $5 at a garage sale beautifully pre seasoned.
She had just sold another a few moments earlier and could not understand my excitement. i'm not sure if my father still has the family pot or if one of my siblings has it, cast iron rocks:rockin:

I just restored a late 60s or early 70s Griswald skillet that is in pretty good shape. It had quite a bit of rust and sticky goo but it cleaned up real well and is getting a nice season on it from the 2.5 pounds of bacon I've cooked in it so far. I'm waiting for the day when my dad hands down a pot he got from his grandma, and she used it at least as far back as when she was a teenager so it may be close to 90 years old, we're not sure exactly. Its kind of a round bottom witches cauldron that is about the same shape profile as an egg with the wider end cut off, about 12 inches tall and 8 inches in diameter with 3 legs on the bottom. We've used it in dutch oven contests for sauces and stuff with good results, its the perfect shape that that.

Finally dumped my "3 times stewed" chili.

I now feel that the caramelized layer of skin that forms on top of my chili in the crock pot is KEY to good chili. :(

I am sure it could be replicated on stovetop, but stirring would hinder it's formation......crock's need almost no stirring.

Back