Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Four Ingredient Chili Colorado

1 pound pork finely diced
3 Tablespoons of your favorite red chili powder (I like New Mexico Red)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon flour to thicken the sauce

Brown the pork in a little oil. Mix in the chili powder and garlic. Saute until fragrant and then add the flour to coat. Add water or a little beer to make the sauce. Serve on tortillas or corn chips. Enjoy.

...and salt. Forgot the salt. OK, Five ingredients.

Sounds great! I'm looking at 70s for tomorrow but it is coming to an end. Dipped to mid 20s a couple nights ago.

Stout, soup, stew and chili season is here!

My wife mentioned that the seared beef belly I use in my chili loses a lot of flavor as it stews. I thought that was fine because the flavor is being transferred to the chili as a whole, but at her suggestion I supplemented it in my last pot. I bought about half a pound of lǔ niú dù, tripe (though they do it with any kind of meat, hard boiled eggs, certain root vegetables, even certain kinds of tofu!) stewed for a while in a mind-boggling array of whole spices, then semi-dried so it's shelf-stable for a few weeks. That was a killer idea and will be a staple of future chilis for me.

If anyone's having trouble with bland meat in your chili, consider adding some tripe. Even if you just sear it in a bit of salt before tossing it in the chili, it holds flavor better than regular meat and frankly makes a fantastic addition to a chili.

Yes, I think it will be time to make a batch of chili during the next few days.

My wife mentioned that the seared beef belly I use in my chili loses a lot of flavor as it stews. I thought that was fine because the flavor is being transferred to the chili as a whole, but at her suggestion I supplemented it in my last pot. I bought about half a pound of lǔ niú dù, tripe (though they do it with any kind of meat, hard boiled eggs, certain root vegetables, even certain kinds of tofu!) stewed for a while in a mind-boggling array of whole spices, then semi-dried so it's shelf-stable for a few weeks. That was a killer idea and will be a staple of future chilis for me.

If anyone's having trouble with bland meat in your chili, consider adding some tripe. Even if you just sear it in a bit of salt before tossing it in the chili, it holds flavor better than regular meat and frankly makes a fantastic addition to a chili.
Could you expand on how you stew and simi-dry the tripe?
Interested:D

Could you expand on how you stew and simi-dry the tripe?
Interested:D

There are lots of places that sell this kind of thing in China, so I buy it stewed and semi-dried, haha!

However, generally you would take a bunch of (preferably whole) spices, toss them in a wok or stew pot with a bunch of water, and simmer your whole tripe in them for however long it takes - I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour - then I believe you'd hang the tripe in the sun to dry for a few days, but you could probably use it right away or maybe even freeze it if you didn't want to hang it out for a while.

Spices vary: almost always star anise, dried red peppers, and bay leaves, often fennel seed, Sichuan pepper, cassia (like cinnamon but woodier and more subdued), and dried galangal or ginger, sometimes dried cardamom pods, 草果 (Amomum Tsaoko is the only translation I can find for these), cumin seeds, cloves, and whatever else you can imagine. Here in central China, similar spice mixes are used for stewing then frying crawfish, often with cucumbers or potatoes added late in the stewing step so they can soak up some of the flavor as well, and it's absolutely killer.

Since whole spices are typically pretty pricey in the US, I'm not sure if making your own tripe this way is manageable or if it would be cost prohibitive there, but I think you could save the stewing mixture in a Ziploc freezer bag and use it again a few times to ease some of the pain if the initial expense is a bit steep. You'd probably find the best deals on Amazon or in your nearest Chinatown.

Four Ingredient Chili Colorado

1 pound pork finely diced
3 Tablespoons of your favorite red chili powder (I like New Mexico Red)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon flour to thicken the sauce

Brown the pork in a little oil. Mix in the chili powder and garlic. Saute until fragrant and then add the flour to coat. Add water or a little beer to make the sauce. Serve on tortillas or corn chips. Enjoy.

...and salt. Forgot the salt. OK, Five ingredients.

And oil.....and water or beer...then tortillas or corn chips. ;)

Chili involves beef and beans.

I've eaten chili about 600 times in my life and never eaten one that contained pork or one that was missing beans.

:p
Chili involves beef and beans.

I've eaten chili about 600 times in my life and never eaten one that contained pork or one that was missing beans.

You ain't from 'round here are ya' boy? You're from Finland and you're telling a Tex-Mexican about chili?????? If I wanted to know about rotten fish I'd ask you, but chili? I think not. :cross:

Seriously though chili colorado (red chili) is a tex-mex style meat sauce. Real chili is only meat and spices and sometimes tomatoes, you don't really need beans. Chili is short for chili con carne, not chili con carne con frijoles. Though beans are a staple and always served with a meal down here anyway. We invented the stuff in the first place, (or maybe the Indians did, but we took it for our own like everything else of theirs, yikes. sorry:eek:) so I think we know a little about it.

Chili is made to be served over something, or on something. Its a sauce to us south westerners. Chili colorado is red chili and its a condiment. Beans in chili is a northern thing and is an abomination, though a tasty, tasty abomination.

The first chili was made from dried meat preserved with peppers and spices so it could be carried on horse back. It was rehydrated on the camp fire with water and eaten as a stew with hard tack, which was softened in the liquid sauce. The International chili society sets the guidelines for true chili and they don't allow beans, so there.:p

No beans! Chili isn't meant to have beans or other "stuff". For example, when you order a bowl of chili in my town, it has pasta in it. Usually, elbow macaroni. That is just plain wrong.

I like my chili HOT. Very very very spicy hot. That's chili!

You are right. My granny used to make the stuff with macaroni noodles, didn't taste like chili at all, more like sloppy joe or manwhich stuff she called it goulash although I'm sure it wasn't. One thing it wasn't for sure was chili!

What she made is called goulash in some states in the midwest. Chili with macaroni was homestyle to us. I like hot chili with 3 kinds of cayenne added with some sliced up Hungarian banana peppers. This year, I'll try a bowl with my insanely hot Peppa Sauce.

What she made is called goulash in some states in the midwest. Chili with macaroni was homestyle to us. I like hot chili with 3 kinds of cayenne added with some sliced up Hungarian banana peppers. This year, I'll try a bowl with my insanely hot Peppa Sauce.

There's more than one kind of cayenne? Please elaborate.

In a well seasoned cast iron frying pan brown 4 slices of diced bacon until the fat is rendered, throw in one diced onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic.
Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, then add 2 diced jalapenos, and a couple chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Add one pound of lean hamburger, 4 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Brown the hamburger then add a can of fire roasted tomatoes.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a half hour.
Season to taste with salt.
Serve over rice.

BACON is an oft over looked chilli ingredient! Really adds an extra layer to the flavors.

I have always been hooked on using at least three meats...like bacon, beef, venison, pork, even dove or turkey...great way to clean out the freezer.

Beans or no beans...I have a chilli pot and I have a bean pot...you want beans you can have them, but I don't cook them in my chilli.

Pet peeve...watery chilli! If the stir spoon won't stand straight up in the pot, it ain't done yet. Lots of folks use masa as a thickener. I like ground up oatmeal (I don't even grind it up if the chilli is staying home)...pretty neutral flavor and it just soaks up the other flavors as it thickens the chilli....plus you are gonna need some "roughage" later on! This method also allows me to long simmer a soupy chilli and then thicken as required...well, so does masa...I just like oatmeal better.

Chilli freezes real well...if fact, I think it really adds to the flavor profile. We freeze in "boil in bags"...pan of boiling water thaws and warms it up...use the same water for of brown rice...plate the rice, pour chilli over and top with a over easy egg...great cold night fast dinner!

It is getting to be chilli making weather!

BACON is an oft over looked chilli ingredient! Really adds an extra layer to the flavors.

I have always been hooked on using at least three meats...like bacon, beef, venison, pork, even dove or turkey...great way to clean out the freezer.

Beans or no beans...I have a chilli pot and I have a bean pot...you want beans you can have them, but I don't cook them in my chilli.

Pet peeve...watery chilli! If the stir spoon won't stand straight up in the pot, it ain't done yet. Lots of folks use masa as a thickener. I like ground up oatmeal (I don't even grind it up if the chilli is staying home)...pretty neutral flavor and it just soaks up the other flavors as it thickens the chilli....plus you are gonna need some "roughage" later on! This method also allows me to long simmer a soupy chilli and then thicken as required...well, so does masa...I just like oatmeal better.

Chilli freezes real well...if fact, I think it really adds to the flavor profile. We freeze in "boil in bags"...pan of boiling water thaws and warms it up...use the same water for of brown rice...plate the rice, pour chilli over and top with a over easy egg...great cold night fast dinner!

It is getting to be chilli making weather!

Ah yes, bacon. I make a smoky chili once in a while with smoked bacon, smoked pork, smoked sausage, chipotles, fire roasted anchos, pasillas, smoked paprika, fire roasted tomatoes, all cooked over a wood fired grill.

Chili was "invented" by spaniards from the Canary Islands who were ordered by the king of Spain to settle in the sparsely populated land that was owned by Spain - nowadays owned by USA and called "Texas".

The "chili" they made was pretty much an ex tempore adaptation of what they were used to making back in the Canaries, minus a few of their familiar, choice ingredients.

Mama's making a batch of chili, as I write this!

Ground beef
Onion
Green bell pepper
Garlic
Tomatoes

Cumin
Paprika
Black pepper
Oregano
Bacon
6oz Arrogant Bastard Clone Yooper's version

Ancho peppers
Habanero peppers
Chilli beans added at the end so they don't get too mushy.

:mug:

There's more than one kind of cayenne? Please elaborate.

I should've said 3 different forms. Ground red pepper, coarse chili flakes (with seeds), & Trappey's Red Devil hot sauce. It's thicker & has a better balance of heat & flavor. It's from LA as well. It's really good with pit bbq'd chuck roast cut into small chunks or shredded. I like a mix of black & pinto beans in mine. A handful or two of those Hungarian banana peppers too. If you're feelin' bad, have a cold or the flue gettin' you down in the evenin', have a bowl or two of my chili & you'll be ready to go in the morning. My #2 son found that out a couple times. Cayenne has that certain quality that makes the viruses start goin' belly up by mornin'.:ban:

It seems there is more than one "right way" to cook and serve chili, depending on where you are from. Some parts of the Midwest do the chili over spagehtii which seems weird to me but totally normal where they do it.�� I've alway cooked chili with some beans, but not skimping on the meat! If it is going to be served over rice, it needs to have more seasoning. I like just a bowel of chili, a piece of cornbread with pepper jelly on the side is nice. I didn't read through the entire thread, but does anyone add some Jack's to their chili? Had some while judging chili a few years back, and it was really a good addition.

Chili is meant to be a damn meal unto its own. You can add it to rice, chips, potato whatever.. but it should also be possible to just eat a big bowl of it by itself. No beans, peppers etc just means it's basically a meat sauce. Booooring. Also should not be soupy. I cannot abide soupy chili.

Salt, pepper, and water don't really count as "ingredients". At least not for soups, stews, and the like.

;)

Also, I am a no-beans kind of guy, but everyone else around me (friends, family, et. al.) likes beans, so I always make it with beans. One time so far, I made it like I like it. No one else thought it was bad, but "it's missing the beans."

*facepalm*

Chili is as chili does.Everyone has their own style of chili that they grew up with or grew to love .No chili is wrong if it's what you like .I like them all.:)

Picked up stuff to make chili tonight. Got some ground beef and pork, onion, a few different kinds of peppers, red and pinto beans, some corn meal, beer. Tell you hwhat.

Just made 5 gallons of deer chili this past weekend. Good stuff! Got like 3 gallons left over too. Probably freeze some to save for cold nights.

Anyone ever use some coffee in their chili? I have a bud that swears by it to get a little more earthiness. Might try it tonight. I love making chili and feeling like a mad scientist adding ten spices to it while half drunk.

Anyone ever use some coffee in their chili? I have a bud that swears by it to get a little more earthiness. Might try it tonight. I love making chili and feeling like a mad scientist adding ten spices to it while half drunk.

I have! I like it, just a few ounces.

That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Um, wait. I mean I am preparing a batch of leftover pulled pork chili tonight (take that purists), and I am adding beans too. In your face, space coyote!

image.php

Beans/No_Beans is a false controversy, IMHO. You can make good chili either way, but in any case the meat and the peppers (fresh green or dried red, but not both) should dominate. The beans need to not get in the way.

The *real* issue is Tomatoes vs No Tomatoes. ;)

Back