Chemical taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosmur

Reaction score
I have made quite a few batches of all grain beer, and with my ales and porters, i get a taste in them which is slightly chemical in nature. it is definitely not a sanitation issue, or a cleaning agent residue issue (i have tried every cleaner and sanitiser from non-rinse to rinse). i am starting to think it might be my yeast. i always use Wyeast strains. When i make my starters, they smell great (no sign of that chemical there), but when i drink my beer it is there. my equipment is all stainless (i have tried brewing in glass fermenters and HDPE as well, and it is not that).

The only way i can describe the taste is slightly artificial, ie like the difference between a diet soda and a normal soda.

anyone else had a similar experience? any ideas? also, i wonder why i dont get it on my lagers?

any help greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Could the hops your using be old?

Could you be fermenting a little warm?

Water issues like chlorine?

Just a few things that come to mind. Try breaking down everything and give it a overnight soak in PBW

thanks for the suggestions. i think both old hops and fermentation temp might be worth thinking about. ie when i make lagers my fermentation temp is totally controlled, and in lagers i dont get this taste. when i make ales and porters it tends to be ambient temperature. also, i have tried changing everything except yeast and hop source. i assumed hops would be ok. might get the next batch of hops from a different supplier.

many thx - something to think about

Something else to think about might be your water source. Many municipalities are putting Chloramine in their water in addition to or instead of Chlorine. It is not volatile (does not boil off) and can lead to the flavors you are talking about. Campden tablets are the way to get rid of that. There's large threads dedicated to campden tablet use on this forum. The tablets are super cheap and it can't hurt to try them out.

We have slightly elevated levels of iron in our water (.3 ppm I think?) and that can impart a metallic type of flavor similar to what you describe.

I found that using a stir plate for my starters and then an oxygen wand from Williams Brewing has completely cleared up this issue. So, maybe it wasn't the iron after all but under oxygenated yeast ... have no control to determine but I am fine with the results.

My hoses were not true high temp hoses, and I think they may have been giving it a slight off tast. My PH was at 8, which is way to high for IPA and I know my beer got better when I started test the water.

Yeah I have switched from a polypro fermenter back to glass fermenters and the problem has disappeared.I think I had a dud fermenter, or perhaps it was too old. I also have started treating my water and the results are great. My sulphate levels were too low and getting those right, as well as the balance between sulphate and chloride really got my hop notes coming out well. Whatever your experience or budget, invest in a water report from a lab, and get some salts and get your water right !

My "chemical" problem was plastic or even an electrical fire smell. CHLORAMINES!!! Buy campden tablets which are cheap (think 100 of them were like $6) and use 1/4 tablet for up to 10 gallons). I do it all the time and haven't had problem since

I have tasted 2 batches now since switching fermenters and treating my water with campden tabs and the taste is 100% clean and there is no trace of any chemical taste at all. Very excited, as i was really concerned about limitations between home brewed beer and commercial beer. Not anymore...!

Back