chemical taste even with campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannerev

Reaction score
Hello!
So awhile back I accidentally forgot that my tap water is super chlorinated and I brewed two batches with it. It tasted nasty when I went to bottle, but I bottled it anyway and left it for a few months, even though I hear that the chlorine taste will not fade. Well, everyone was right. It is still awful, maybe even worse after a few months. I finally dumped it as I needed the bottles for new batches.

I purchased a water cooler and now I use RO water. I also put in a campden tablet just to be safe. I live in a small town in Northern Canada and I don't really trust the local store to switch out their filters often.

Anyway, the latest batches have been OK, but they still have a hint of that chemical - medicine like taste. Is it still the water or is it something else? Next batch I am going to go back to just purchasing water as that has worked in the past. Any other ideas of what this might be? I don't know how to describe it other than chemically - like medince or rubbing alcohol or something. you can smell a hint of it and definitely taste it. I use a swamp cooler but my fermenting temps do go up and down a bit, I try to keep them under control.

oh extra details-
5 gallon batches (3.5 gallon boil), with starters, extract with steeping grains.
one was in primary for 3 weeks then bottled, one was in primary for 3 weeks then lagering for 2 weeks in the garage.
I have been successful in the past using the same set up with store bought water.

You're describing chlorophenols perfectly. There was still some chlorine or chloramides getting into your beer at some point. Either that source you used was still chlorinated or else you were using your water somewhere else in the process, like making your sanitizer with the chlorinated water.

I used the RO for sanitizing water, and the water for priming sugar as well, with a half a campden tablet crushed in as I was so worried about it!

The water from my RO water cooler still does not taste clear though, so I am guessing that is it. SUPER frustrating.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Back