Cheers from MN!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesie9

Reaction score
First Post
Haven't brewed yet. I've asked for a homebrewing kit for X-Mas the last three yrs with nothing to show for it.

I decided I'm going to have to do it myself. I took a beginning beer making class and beginning kegging class in Jan. I've bought a couple books and looked at possibly a hundred videos/podcasts.

I'm looking to do all-grain brewing. Most of my research of late has been on pricing out the equipment, but I'm stoked to get going. Also looking to join up with a brew club for more insight.

Thanks for all the great questions/answers/photos on this site. Very helpful.

Cheers!

Welcome. All grain brewer here in Robbinsdale, MN, west of HWY100 (suburb that shares a boarder with New Hope).

I know your water and you're going to want to start with reverse osmosis water from Cub Foods and follow the "sticky" in the Brewing Science portion of this forum because you have very alkaline (>300ppm) water.

Welcome. All grain brewer here in Robbinsdale, MN, west of HWY100 (suburb that shares a boarder with New Hope).

I know your water and you're going to want to start with reverse osmosis water from Cub Foods and follow the "sticky" in the Brewing Science portion of this forum because you have very alkaline (>300ppm) water.

Thanks DSmith. I've been curious to what the water quality is here and I was actually going to check it with the city on Monday. I'm hoping to do my first brew next weekend. Do you know if a water filter will correct that problem?

Originally from Anoka, now living on the Panhandle in Florida. Welcome to the forums. Get ready for the addiction rush.

There's no filter that will significantly help other than an in-house RO system (after a water softener).

Please post what New Hope, MN public works gives you for your water.

Here's what I have probably 3 miles away from you (below). The city didn't tell me anything useful and about $20 total for a test by Ward Lab has been useful to decide to use 75%-90% RO (Cub Foods grocery store) water for brewing. My pH testing recently confirms the brewing water sticky information on the Brewing Science part of this forum is pretty accurate. Any tap water used for brewing needs to be taken before a water softener and dechlorinated with part of a campten tablet (1 tablet treats 20 gallons of water for chlorine/chloramine).

Robbinsdale, MN Water (ppm), Ward Lab Test:
Ca: 97
Mg: 46
Na: 15
Cl: 52
SO4: 27
CaCO3: 350

Originally from Anoka, now living on the Panhandle in Florida. Welcome to the forums. Get ready for the addiction rush.

I'm already pumped and I haven't even brewed yet.

You should probably make a nice Pumpkin Spiced Ale come Oct in honor of your former city's title of "Halloween Capitol of the World". Also seems your trading one form of tornado for another.

There's no filter that will significantly help other than an in-house RO system (after a water softener).

Please post what New Hope, MN public works gives you for your water.

Here's what I have probably 3 miles away from you (below). The city didn't tell me anything useful and about $20 total for a test by Ward Lab has been useful to decide to use 75%-90% RO (Cub Foods grocery store) water for brewing. My pH testing recently confirms the brewing water sticky information on the Brewing Science part of this forum is pretty accurate. Any tap water used for brewing needs to be taken before a water softener and dechlorinated with part of a campten tablet (1 tablet treats 20 gallons of water for chlorine/chloramine).

Robbinsdale, MN Water (ppm), Ward Lab Test:
Ca: 97
Mg: 46
Na: 15
Cl: 52
SO4: 27
CaCO3: 350

Ouch! Kind of a pain if you need to purchase your water every time for brewing.

I will post the info I receive from the NH Water Dept.

Back