Cheers from Alaska!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibtm

Reaction score
Hey guys, soon-to-be new home brewer here. Waiting for the extra funds to buy all the proper equipment and get started!

My friend recently started home brewing and has made some fantastic beers and outstanding wine. He currently has a chocolate stout in the works (smelled amazing). We plan on brewing together since, well, we both enjoy beer a LOT and even 50-60 bottles goes by pretty damn quick just between the 2 of us.

I've been lurking around here for a while and have been learning so much from you guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be a contributing poster soon and can help future brewers out as well!

Bibtm,
Cool, welcome from another valley brewer :mug:
PM me if you need anything, I'm an all grain brewer so if you want to make the jump let me know.

We should form a Mat-Su Valley brew club. What would we call it? The Chillbilly Brewers? :)

Jeff V

Welcome! I'm just starting out as well. I just went to the LHBS yesterday and got most of what I need to get rolling and I have my first brew in the primary. Are there any suppliers up in the valley or do you guys come down here?

Boomer,
There is one small LHBS here but their emphasis is on wine (brew on premise) but they have a limited amount of supplies. For most of my grain I go into Anchorage to Arctic Brewing Supplies off Diamond. I am an all grain brewer so grain up here is a lot more expensive than when I was in Austin.

Am thinking we should try to get a pallet or two of grains and supplies shipped up from Vancouver by North Country.

JeffV

That's where I got my stuff yesterday. When I was in there, the guy was pretty certain I'd be looking to make the jump to all grain. He said plan on calling him within a few months so he could set me up.

Boomer,
All my equipment is low tech and made from scratch (Home Depot and Lowes). MLT is an igloo cooler converted at a fraction of what most LHBS charge. All grain doesn't have to be expensive but it can get real expensive the fancier your equipment gets.
IMHO the most important pieces of equipment are your malt mill and mash tun.

JeffV

Back