checking gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFR

Reaction score
How do you go about checking the gravity of your brew?

Do you un bung take a smaple out with a wine theif type device check and then return sample to the brew??

all equipemnt is sanitised e.c.t

i;m brewing in a 4.5l (1 gallon) car boy and don't want to drop the hyodrometer into the carboy.

any help pls

Yep that's about it, remove airlock, take sample, test sample, return sample to carboy OR sample is consumed for "testing" purposes.:mug:

I NEVER return a sample to the carbouy. While the risk of introducing some unwanted organism is small, it IS a possibility; besides, why wouldn't you want to drink that hydro sample?
Regards, GF.

Normally, you'd drink the sample because you need to know what the wine tastes like at every point of the process.

I also do batches of that size, I now have a refractometer which refractometer which removes the problem, but when taking hydro readings I've taken to pouring a tiny amount of it into a glass as a taste test and the rest goes back in.

Latest posts

Back