Cheating a Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
I've always been an ale brewer and I admittedly don't know much about lager brewing. I simply don't have the ability to pull off the real thing, however I'd like to try to cheat my way through one. Without getting into recipe specifics, I want to try to brew a doppelbock with WLP810 San Fran Lager. I've done some researching and I think I can pull off what will need to be done for the yeast to perform properly, but I just don't know enough about the flavor characteristics of lager yeasts to know if it will end up tasting as good as I'd like.

If it matters, it sounds like my fermentation schedule would be primary in the low/mid 50's for about two weeks, raise temp to low 60's for a day, and then keg. If it is necessary, I could lager in the keg at about 37 for up to a couple of weeks.

Is this a good idea? This time of year when the ground water is cold is about the only time of year I could attempt something like this.

Rock a huge starter of a Scottish Ale yeast. They can be fermented in the mid 50's and will surely give you a big malt presence.

I think you could use all kinds of lager yeast but not sure if they are going to produce the flavor profile typical of a doppelbock.

Back