Changing Up The Brewing Equipment - QD's & Whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice upgrade Jake! I have the same QD's w/ 90's on them and they work great. I had the same dilemma with whirlpooling with the IC and I could never get it to work just right and never got a nice cone formed. Now I whirlpool with the IC to chill, then remove the IC and whirlpool for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then let it sit undisturbed for another 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to the fermenter. I now get a decent cone of trub and hops in the center of my BK. The key for me was to not disturb my BK after whirlpooling and transferring to the fermenter.

Nice upgrade Jake! I have the same QD's w/ 90's on them and they work great. I had the same dilemma with whirlpooling with the IC and I could never get it to work just right and never got a nice cone formed. Now I whirlpool with the IC to chill, then remove the IC and whirlpool for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then let it sit undisturbed for another 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to the fermenter. I now get a decent cone of trub and hops in the center of my BK. The key for me was to not disturb my BK after whirlpooling and transferring to the fermenter.

THANK YOU for the feedback!! So I take it your whirlpool arm isn't attached t your IC.. Are you using a kettle or keggle? How are you keeping the whirlpool arm stable after you remove the IC ?

Thanks again!

The whirlpool arm is attached to the IC to help expedite the cooling. After cooling, I disconnect the wort hose from the IC, pull the QD off, and clamp it at an angle to the top of the keggle to start the whirlpool. My next upgrade/change to the BK is to install a permanent whirlpool arm (repurposed from the IC) with a valve near the top of the BK. All I need is a bulkhead fitting to do the change to my keggle.

Back