Camlock vs QD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay. Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. When purchasing things like pumps and RIMS Tubes, they generally have connection options. I'm a little confused on the difference between what a Camlock is and what Quick Disconnect is. Are they the same?

I figured it out. I guess the QD's I was referencing are BLQD vs Camlock.

I used QDs for the first couple years of brewing. They were brass, and kinda corroded and became unreliable.

The next 10 years I used camlocks. I hated them. I suppose if you have a fixed installation, they'd be great. But if you're changing connections often, every brewday, they are a pain. It's a two-handed operation, and there is more force than you'd expect to get the wings to latch. I rarely latched both wings for this reason, so I was always wary of one that popped off. When fully latched, they do make a great connection and allow for a phat silicone oring that keeps the connection secure (never any leaks). Camlocks likely have larger interior orifices, so probably better flow.

I've gone back to SS QD's, and I'm happy again. As always, it really depends on your situation.

Back