Cedar Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
After reading through the keezer posts I broke down and built my own. Putting my own spin on it I wrapped it in cedar. Pretty much designed the it on the fly. Had a lot of fun building this and outside of the internal plumbing have very little invested in it. Used 6 foot cedar boards from Home Depot that were $3 each. Cut them in half and got two planks out of each board. I think I used 11 boards total. The base and collar were made from scrap 3/4 inch plywood I had laying around and the casters came from a box of odds and ends my father picked up at an auction for a few bucks.

I cut the base slightly larger than the footprint of the freezer and attached low profile casters to it. I first built the collar out of a 2x6 but it was warped and I could not get it to sit flush on the freezer. Made a second collar out of 3/4 inch plywood that I was able to rip straight as can be with the table saw. I glued and nailed two pieces together to get the same thickness as the 2x6. The second attempt was much better. Perfectly square and level. I ended up adding another layer of 1/16 plywood to the outside of the collar so it was slight larger than the freezer. I did this so the cedar boards would not be directly on the freezer. That is why the collar appears to be white on the outside. In hindsight I could have just made the collar a little larger.

After laying down weather stripping and setting the collar on the freezer I began to attach the cedar planks. Nailed them to base and the collar. Had to make a few cut outs for the freezer controls.

The side of the freezer had a vent I had to deal with. I took the vent off freezer and cut several holes in the cedar to allow for appropriate air flow. The back of the keezer is completely open and allows for air flow as well.

Once completely wrapped I built a lid to sit on the top. Framed it with a 2x2 and tacked cedar to it as well. It fits perfectly over the top and easily lifts on and off. I can open the freezer lid with out taking it off by grabbing both at the same time.

I think it looks really cool. Will probably run a piece of trim around the bottom for aesthetics but other than that I'm read to fill it up with beer!

Keezer.jpg

Keezer 1.jpg

Keezer 2.jpg

Keezer 3.jpg

Keezer 4.jpg

Keezer 5.jpg

Looks Nice. I like the cedar boards, and the coasters look like they will perfect to move it around.
Lots of luck and cold pours. :mug:

Where are the condenser coils on the freezer? A lot of chest freezers have them built into the sides... If that's the case you've just insulated them.

Looks pretty awesome though.

I was traveling last week and stopped into Russian River Brewing where I picked up a very cool Pliny The Elder tin that I would look perfect on front of my Keezer. I have not gotten around to putting a drip tray on the keezer and am thinking of putting this sign on instead. Will I regret not having a drip tray?

I don't think that will be an issue. I left a little space, the boards don't join completely so it's somewhat vented, and it doesn't run that often. The back does get a little warm but it's open.

Back