Caronation while lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a lager (Sam Adams Boston Lager clone) and it has been at 34f under gas (10psi) for 4 weeks.

Despite me pouring off 3-4 pints, the beer isn't clear and oddly is not carbonated well. When I pour there is some floating material and the bubbles are very large. This leads me to wonder if I screwed up carbonating while lagering? Did his interfere with sedimentation of the compounds that are intended to fall out?

Thanks in advance.

Questions

Carbing while lagering is fine. But remember, your basically crash cooling while lagering. All the gunk is going to fall to the bottom of the keg and pulled first from the tap.

Thanks - it's my first lager and it seems like there is more "junk" to be cleared than I expected. I supposed after that period of time there would be expected to be more crud than an ale.

Taste is good though. Just no head retention. I assume the particles are allowing the co2 to escape in the big bubbles - resulting in poor carb and head retention.

Back