Caribou Sloober - hops adjustment for full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing up some Caribou Slobber from NB this weekend.
I would like to do a full boil but when I plugged the info into Beersmith, I noticed the IBU's jumped quite a few points.

Should I lower the amount of hops to make it less hoppy or just let it ride?

Thanks!

5 gallon slobber.JPG

9 gallon slobber.JPG

That's your call. If you'd like less bitterness in the beer, go ahead and adjust the level of the hops and maybe save some of the hops for late hops additions. That way, you'll still get some of the flavor and aroma of the hops without so much bitterness.

What about doing a late extract addition for the 6 pounds of liquid at 15 minutes and adding the 1 pound dry extract at 60 minutes? I would then decrease the hops some.

But is it ok to add that much extract that late in the boil?

Lower the amount of hops to get the bitterness that it calls for. You get better utilization with a bigger boil due to the lesser gravity. There is a reason the bitterness is in the RED!

I should also add that Im just getting into some caribou slobber that I dry hopped & let me tell you, this beer is not meant to be hoppy, dont screw with the profile!

Agree with JHawKS - lower the hops to get very comparable to where it should be - otherwise you'll have an overly hoppy brown ale...the rave reviews on that Moose Drool clone are based on doing it per the kit instructions. Full boils - you want to cut down on the amt of hops you're using compared to a partial boil. It'll be a little darker but not by much and that's okay....but it's the bitterness you have to watch when doing full boils from kits or recipes that call for a 2-3 gal boil.

Back