Carboys vs. Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
I am considering purchsing a Carboy for Primary and secondary fermentation. So far, I like using buckets for the ease of cleaning. After my first batch, I realized that a Carboy may be difficult to clean. Am I right?????

I primary in glass carboys. Very easy to clean. Fill with two gallons of water and some Oxy-clean Free. Put in a solid stopper and shake. Lay the carboy on it's side for a while and rotate. Usually the Oxy-Clean will get the glass clean with no scrubbing at all. They also make a brush that will fit in the carboy. I like the glass because it will last forever. Plastic buckets can get scratches that will/can harbor nasties that like to eat your beer. Of course, the glass carboys can be dangerous if dropped. So, it's really a personnel preference.

I've used both and I didn't find carboy's to be difficult to clean at all. I think you should at least try a carboy primary at some point early on in your brewing because its pretty interesting to actually see the yeast work (though still keep it out of the light).

Use a better bottle. Clear, lightweight, and provides the same advantages as a carboy minus a trip to the hospital if it shatters.

I was thinking about going with the Better Bottles, but I am so freaked out about scratches, and it seems that they are getting expensive too. I just Ponied up a few more dollars and went with the Glass, I am glad I did they look 100X better IMO...

Don't be in a rush Get a brew hauler, oh and I made Carpet Coasters too ...just in case

Have you seen the thread "Worst injury while homebrewing" or something like that?? Trust me, look through that thread and you will never use glass carboys again. I will take a scratch in the plastic over severed limbs.

If you have time, a carboy will clean itself. I fill them with oxyclean and let them sit a couple of days. Occasionally, there might be a little debris left near the top. Toss in a rag and swirl it around-does the job. This is easier with better bottles. I'm getting tired of lifting that 6.5 gallon glass carboy.

I've tried both and I came back to the plastic bucket. In my view, they are less aggravation. I was able to clean them without any issues but the bucket was a lot easier - and the worry of breaking them spooked me. I sold my two glass carboys in a yard sale.

I have not tried a plastic Better Bottle - they seem pretty good. If I make another batch that requires a secondary, I will probably pick one up.

I bought a 6.5 gallon carboy off a local seller. I used it this last time to actually watch the yeast doing its job. It was cool to see. I am worried about dropping it and it is quite heavy. I think I am going probably resell it after I am done and get either a better bottle or another bucket, or two.

Buckets!!!

Cheap - you could get at least 3 buckets for the price of a carboy or BB - 3 buckets >> 1 carboy or 1 BB
Easy to clean
Keep light out
Have a useful life after homebrew

I use both glass and plastic carboys for primary. I have a 7 gallon bucket for primary but I never use it. As far as clean up goes, as others have mentioned carboys arent hard to clean, get a brush and use a little oxy clean, no sweat. The other advantage to a carboy is you can see whats going on inside without risking contamination by taking the lid off.

The other advantage to a carboy is you can see whats going on inside without risking contamination by taking the lid off.

A lot of people might knock it but I think my Cooper's fermenters have a lot of advantages. For one, they're plastic. Two, they have a built in spigot and it does not leak. Three, wide open mouth for easy cleaning. And four, the lids plastic is transparent so I can look in on my beer :) So while the body is mostly opaque enough to keep out most light and semi-transparent enough to see the beer level and krausen the lid allows me to see in clearly. I keep my fermenters in my hallway which is blocked from all light and I often keep a blanket around the fermenter anyway.

Only problem with them is you can't just buy the fermenter here in the US, you have to buy the whole $99 kit.

Rev.

I started using buckets, went to glass, and finally settled on Better Bottles. BBs are as easy to clean as glass (just put in some OxyClean Free, throw in a soft rag and swirl, the rag helps to dislodge any stuck-on debris w/out scratching the plastic), safer, lighter, you can see the fermentation, and if you get a BB with the racking port it makes transferring your beer so much easier, just open the valve and let 'er rip, no more fussing with racking canes. I dropped a glass carboy with 5.5 gal of beer and it cracked, I was lucky it didn't shatter. If you go w/ glass get a brew hauler as someone mentioned. The downside to buckets as others have mentioned is that you can't see your fermentation unless you lift the lid, potentially exposing your beer to contamination; the other problem w/ buckets is they are more permeable to air so you don't want to leave your beer in them for extended periods, say if you're doing a barley wine and need to leave them in the fermenter for >6 months. In the end it comes down to personal choice.

I have a 6.5Gal and three 5Gal glass carboys, five 6Gal Better Bottles and 2 fermentation buckets. Personally I prefer carboys or Better Bottles to the buckets. For a long time I used the 6.5 for the primary and the smaller glass carboys for the secondary if necessary. Not only do I not want to get cut but I have a 3 and 1 year old and it would kill me if I ever dropped a carboy and they were injured. Now I use the Better Bottles for the primary and 5 gallon glass carboys for the secondary.

When putting the beer into the primary my hands and the carboy are usually wet which is dangerous with glass. The outside of the 5gal. glass carboys are never wet and I always carry them in a plastic milk crate.

To clean either, I first rinse them with hot water by pulling the faucet off of the kitchen sink and using the hose to blast the water in and then let it soak full of PBW for a few days. It uses a lot of water which sucks but it's easier for me than trying to balance the vessel upside down in a cup of water. Things tend to be flying around my house quite a bit of the time.

Had a few issues cleaning up a one gallon glass container yesterday... a quick google search and I found someone suggesting throwing in a little bit of rice to help knock off the gunk stuck on the top 1/3 of the container. Worked like a charm.

I have 4 buckets, including one of those fancy 8gal ones from BMW, I shattered a carboy last year, so I'm to 8 carboys. I have 2 6 gallon better bottles, a 3 gal better bottle & 2 3gal carboys.

I like my carboys & I like my buckets.

I didn't really add anything to the discussion did I? I have all 3, and like all 3 & as stuff breaks or gets scratched, I'll probably go to bigger fermentors so I don't have 17 carboys laying around.....

I vote for plastic buckets. I have used both for years. Buckets keep the light out, leave lots of headspace for those violent fermentations and are much easier to clean. If you take care of the plastic and clean it well, it won't get all scratched up. I only use my carboys for dry hopping beer and wine making. Glass also costs a buttload these days

I use glass carboys. Never had a problem cleaning them and I've never broke one. I won't buy better bottles unless they make them 7 gal. A friend of mine has a 6 gallon and it is barely bigger than my 5 gallon carboy. The better bottle holds 6 g to the absolute top and my 5 g carboy holds barely less than that. However, if I decide I need another fermenter I think I will go with a bucket. They are cheap and easy.

I use glass carboys. Never had a problem cleaning them and I've never broke one. I won't buy better bottles unless they make them 7 gal. A friend of mine has a 6 gallon and it is barely bigger than my 5 gallon carboy. The better bottle holds 6 g to the absolute top and my 5 g carboy holds barely less than that. However, if I decide I need another fermenter I think I will go with a bucket. They are cheap and easy.

Then your friend didn't get an actual 6 gallon Better Bottle carboy... My actual 6 gallon BB carboy is 5 gallons to the lower edge of the top ring (about 3-4" lower than where it starts to taper up to the neck)... If you look at the bottom of the BB carboy, it should be stamped with the actual size it is... I would wager that he asked for a 6 gallon and was given a 5 gallon... My 5 gallon BB carboy is 5 gallons at where the neck starts to taper.

I use a 6 gallon Better Bottle for primary and have no trouble cleaning it. I use a "bottle blaster" after I empty it, and then put a couple gallons of hot water and OxiClean in, put a solid stopper in and turn it upside down for a couple of days. All the sticky stuff comes right off! I do love me my Better Bottles!

yumv!

glenn514:mug:

I don't have a "bottle blaster" (is that anything like a "butt blaster"??) but I do have a carboy brush that I use from time to time, when there's something on there that won't come off with hot water. I sometimes use oxyclean on it, but often hot tap water, shaken inside the carboy, is enough to get it clean. I sometimes need to use a stopper to help agitate it, but I'm careful to let it vent between shaking sessions. Don't want to make it fail after all.

I've not let oxyclean soak in my carboy's without giving them a way to vent. Actually, the few times I've used oxyclean in them, a couple of hours has been more than enough time to get them completely clean.

That reminds me, I'm almost out of oxyclean... Time to give PBW a try... :D

Have you seen the thread "Worst injury while homebrewing" or something like that?? Trust me, look through that thread and you will never use glass carboys again. I will take a scratch in the plastic over severed limbs.

Chaydaw, I hear you. My brother actually died by falling on a carboy that was filled with coins. They are certainly dangerous... I sliver of glass went into his leg and severed an artery and he bled to death....

i used glass from the beginning but I am switching over to buckets as i dont want to risk breaking a carboy. It is really nice to see the beer fermenting but ill trust my yeast and airlock to verify that i normally see.

There are advantages to both for sure. I really would like to go with a stainless setup as i want to remove plastic from my brewing but since i dont heat up the plastic this is the last to be replaced. I did all stainless kettles for my setup because of the thought of heating up the plastic coolers and potential bpa leakage.

I bought a 5 gallon plastic water bottle bottle from walmart, and it works great! I have 2 that I am using as I have 5 gallon batches going at once!

I am looking for a partial mash recipe for a red ale (forget the lagers!), with step by step instructions. My last 3 batches seemed a little bitter. Am I boiling the hops too long?

Then your friend didn't get an actual 6 gallon Better Bottle carboy... My actual 6 gallon BB carboy is 5 gallons to the lower edge of the top ring (about 3-4" lower than where it starts to taper up to the neck)... If you look at the bottom of the BB carboy, it should be stamped with the actual size it is... I would wager that he asked for a 6 gallon and was given a 5 gallon... My 5 gallon BB carboy is 5 gallons at where the neck starts to taper.

I was actually kind of curious about that but it said 6 gallons on the box. I measured it when I was helping him make his second batch and it was 6 gallons to the very top. I'll check it out, thanks for the tip about the stamp. If that's the case I would consider getting a better bottle.

I am looking for a partial mash recipe for a red ale (forget the lagers!), with step by step instructions. My last 3 batches seemed a little bitter. Am I boiling the hops too long?

Check out the recipe section, search the site or start a new thread.

I have 4 buckets, including one of those fancy 8gal ones from BMW, I shattered a carboy last year, so I'm to 8 carboys. I have 2 6 gallon better bottles, a 3 gal better bottle & 2 3gal carboys.

I like my carboys & I like my buckets.

I didn't really add anything to the discussion did I? I have all 3, and like all 3 & as stuff breaks or gets scratched, I'll probably go to bigger fermentors so I don't have 17 carboys laying around.....

I get it, you are like me if its a fermenter I'll use it. Conical, carboy, bucket don't matter if it makes beer go for it. As far as cleaning do it right after you empty it.

I have a mix of glass carboys and plastic buckets and I enjoy using both types. I like the glass because I can see what's happening during the fermentation and it doesn't hold onto odors the way plastic does. I like the plastic buckets for their ease of cleaning and protection from UV light.

I can see why so many are worried about injury from shattered carboys so I always try to keep my wits about me when using them. I wear rubber gloves when handling them (for better gripping) and I move slowly and deliberately to prevent any accidents. So far I haven't had any issues.

I have only used plastic for primary basically just because of the extra head space, but I think next batch I'll use one of my glass carboys to get a view of the yeast at work. I've used the glass a lot for secondary, despite all the reservations about breaking one during cleaning/moving. Yeah my hands get wet but I have a white knuckle freak death grip on the thing at all times.

Now that I've said that Karma is going to kick me in the @$$ and cause something to go terribly wrong next brew...

Back