carboy use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttastrom

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of beer yesterday. Not really thinking about it, I used the plastic bucket I bought for the first stage of fermentation instead of the glass carboy. Is there any major disadvantages to this other than the fact that I cannot see the beer as it is fermenting? I was planning on letting it sit for about 7 days, but I have been reading a few books that say you should transfer 3 to 4 days after visible fermenting has stopped. Also, I had some trouble getting my water to boil so I covered it and left it covered throughout most of the boil, removing the lid only to stir and add finishing hops, etc. An earlier post said that covering the wort can lead to less than desirable tastes. Should I be worried? Thanks for any input.

Leaving it covered is not a big deal for your first brew. what size is your carboy because there are some kits that sell a 6.5 gallon bucket for primary fermentation, the larger size allowing krausen but not a blow off, with a 5 gallon carboy to secondary ferment the beer in. The carboy is a smaller size so that there is less oxygen with your beer. five gallon carboys can be difficult to primary ferment in due to their small size and need of a blowoff hose.

Welcome to HBT!

The bucket is the perfect primary with plenty of room for krausen. Don't rack your beer until it is at final gravity. Moving it before then can stall fermentation. For better tasting beer, leave it were it is for 3 or 4 weeks and then bottle.

With extract, boiling with the lid on isn't as big of deal as with all grain but you really don't want to do it.

I've been brewing for 2.5 years and still use a bucket for my primary. There's much debate about transferring to a secondary after fermentation slows down, but from what I've gathered, the quality of yeast now-a-days negates to necessity of doing a secondary (which was apparently necessary to allow yeasts of the past to properly condition the beer)
+1 on not racking your beer until its done. Be sure to take a gravity reading with a hydrometer just before you pitch your yeast and then when fermentation appears to stop. Take another reading a day later and if the two readings are the same at the same temperature, then your beer is done! If you don't have a hydrometer, get one($12 for a triple scale?)! One of the best investments you can make as a new brewer!

Jus gave up on buckets and now use Better Bottles...like to see the "action" and much easier to use than heavy glass

I saw this thread and it answered a question that I had - but not it also raised another question i.e. whether it is necessary to secondary ferment or not.

I have the beginners kit with a 6 gal bucket with an airlock hole on top for the airlock and a spigot at the bottom. I also purchased a 5 gal glass carboy for secondardy fermentation as suggested/illustrated in the book.

My question(s) are:

*I am doing John Palmer's Cincy Ale for newbies via his How To Brew Book. He appears to advocate secondary fermentation and using a 5 gal glass carboy which I have and which I bought for this purpose. I have read some comments that this is unnecessary because the yeast used now is superior obviating the need to do this. What is the consensus on this?

*Stupid question - I then place the airlock via a rubber stopper into the glass carboy/secondary fermenter (as is pictured in the book) no?

Thanks, Montanaandy

I saw this thread and it answered a question that I had - but not it also raised another question i.e. whether it is necessary to secondary ferment or not.

I have the beginners kit with a 6 gal bucket with an airlock hole on top for the airlock and a spigot at the bottom. I also purchased a 5 gal glass carboy for secondardy fermentation as suggested/illustrated in the book.

My question(s) are:

*I am doing John Palmer's Cincy Ale for newbies via his How To Brew Book. He appears to advocate secondary fermentation and using a 5 gal glass carboy which I have and which I bought for this purpose. I have read some comments that this is unnecessary because the yeast used now is superior obviating the need to do this. What is the consensus on this?

*Stupid question - I then place the airlock via a rubber stopper into the glass carboy/secondary fermenter (as is pictured in the book) no?

Thanks, Montanaandy

First part, it is a matter of choice, as is also when....this pretty much sums up the entire discussion https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/multiple-questions-about-secondary-fermentation-140978/#post1601829

Second question, the answer is yeas...airlock and stopper on carboy.

Also, I had some trouble getting my water to boil so I covered it and left it covered throughout most of the boil, removing the lid only to stir and add finishing hops, etc. An earlier post said that covering the wort can lead to less than desirable tastes. Should I be worried? Thanks for any input.

DMS needs to boil off, never covered my boil, could taste funky

Personally I like to secondary ferment with my heavier beers mainly for the clearing aspect I get from it. For several of my lighter beers, I have no problem leaving them in the primary for the duration, and then go straight to the bottle or keg.

Thanks guys. I think that I will make it easy on myself this 1st time around and allow it to ferment all the way in the bucket. I will the the secondary after I have another batch or two done and then I can compare the results. Thanks again, Montanaandy

Back