carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
:confused: Can over carbing my beer cause an off flavor? I tried my all grain blue moon clone when I put it in the keg and it tasted really good. After setting in the keg for about a week it doesnt tase as good. I forced carb fot 2 days @ 30psi at 42 degrees then I backed it down to 11 psi. It tase a little bitter now and I cant taste as much of the fuity taste from the beer. It was in the primary for 2 weeks and in the secondary for 7 days and now it has been int the keg for 7 days Any thoughts? Can I fix this?

There is nothing you can fix. Overcarbonation takes away from the malt and hop flavor because it is so pronounced so maybe you should bleed off a little CO2 until it stabilizes at 10 LB.

There is nothing you can fix. Overcarbonation takes away from the malt and hop flavor because it is so pronounced so maybe you should bleed off a little CO2 until it stabilizes at 10 LB.

You say that I cant fix it so what is the point of bleeding of more co2 or are you saying that if I bleed off the extra co2 it will stabilize and taste better???:)

Too much CO2 is bad for taste. Bleed off some of the carbonation (No CO2 connected). Do this until it had the proper level of CO2 in solution. I'm saying that if CO2 is the problem you can fix that but not other off flavors in the brew.

Too much CO2 is bad for taste. Bleed off some of the carbonation (No CO2 connected). Do this until it had the proper level of CO2 in solution. I'm saying that if CO2 is the problem you can fix that but not other off flavors in the brew.

Gotcha I am sure it is from over carbing and not something else. Thank you for your time

Back