carbonation/ inquiring minds want to know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gamble

Reaction score
Which sugar is best to use for carbonation? I used table sugar for my first brew, which is in the bottle, but, have been told that dextrose is better. Is dextrose the best to use, or is there something better. Or, will table sugar do the job? Or, is there another sugar that will work better?

I used dextrose when i first started, but switched to table sugar. I have not noticed a difference. Just make sure you are using a priming sugar calculator and looking at the right sugar. You will get different amounts to use.

Except for my very first couple of brews, I used table sugar for about a decade. Then I started kegging.

Never had any issues, and given how readily available table sugar is as compared to dextrose, I don't see any reason to do otherwise.

I use carb drops, muntons or crafty fox. You get the exact amount of sugar in your bottle for carbonation. It’s a fail safe for newbie brewers like myself!

"Table sugar" is sucrose.
Sucrose is a disaccharide that can be broken down into glucose and fructose. The yeast can digest this just fine. For me, it's just as easy to use as the more expensive "carbo drops" made of dextrose, which is a simple sugar chemically identical to glucose.

It’s all simple sugar.
- Sucrose (Table sugar)
- Dextrose (Corn Sugar)
- Honey (Glucose)

That’s what you want. Something for the yeast to NOT have to work for. They are tired and lazy at this point.

Just find a good online calculator because not all sugars calculate to the same amounts.

Which sugar is best to use for carbonation? I used table sugar for my first brew, which is in the bottle, but, have been told that dextrose is better. Is dextrose the best to use, or is there something better. Or, will table sugar do the job? Or, is there another sugar that will work better?

I've used table sugar for >100 batches. I'm not going to change now. It works very well, very reliably, and my wife always keeps some in the kitchen cabinet for baking, so it's a no-brainer.

Plain table sugar ( beet or cane ) will work just fine.

As for priming calculators, I have used Brewer's Friend calculator and it worked great every time.

Domino Dots sugar cubes, one per 12 oz bottle. Was an easy method to use when I first started out, and I liked the results so I’ve just kept using them.

Yep, Domino Dot sugar cubes. Make sure you buy the box with 198 cubes. Been using dots for the last 45 batches with perfect carbonation. One cube per 12 oz bottle.

I have an abundance of priming sugar from when I bottled so I’ll use this until it’s gone

1/2,tsp for 12 oz, 1 tsp for 22, I use a funnel and pour it in, a bit of a hassle but I only bottle 4-6 and keg the rest

Carb drops when the sugar is gone

I have an abundance of priming sugar from when I bottled so I’ll use this until it’s gone

1/2,tsp for 12 oz, 1 tsp for 22, I use a funnel and pour it in, a bit of a hassle but I only bottle 4-6 and keg the rest

Carb drops when the sugar is gone
Sheesh, why not use Domino Dot sugar cubes? They work perfect and cost a fraction of carb drops. JMO

There are some locations where stores don't carry the Domino brand of sugar cubes.
I was surprised to find out they aren't available in Alaska. When I first started out I didn't know my butt from fructose but caught on fairly quick once all the Cooper's drops ran out.

I used to use Dextrose (keg now). Measured out enough for a whole batch, dissolved in boiling water and mixed with beer before bottling. Table sugar works fine but takes a while to dissolve in water. Dextrose dissolves really fast.

Back