Carbonating 1 Gallon of Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpenguin01

Reaction score
I am planning on carbonating my cider this next week. It has been sitting in a carboy for a little over 2 weeks at this point. The total volume is 1 gallon and I used some Red Star Premier Cuvee (dry wine) yeast to get it started.

Any idea how much sugar I need to add before bottling in order to carbonate? Would concentrate or brown sugar yield better results?

Thanks.
~RP!

Im no expert bt I've made a few batches of cider I usually btle into 750ml bottles
I usually put 1 teaspoon of sugar in each bottle and syphon into bottles this works for me.

RP,

Based on a quick jaunt on google 3/4c (the usual amount for priming 5 gallons) divided by 5 is 35.4 milliliters. Converted to Tablespoons this is 2.39 Tbsp or 2 Tbsp and 1 tsp. of sugar. I would round down to 2 Tbsp just to be safe! I use cane/table sugar to prime. No idea how much concentrate you would need but someone did a calculator on here, just do a search for priming with concentrate.

HOWEVER, 3 weeks might not be long enough for full fermentation to quit and you don't want to prime for bottle conditioning until all fermentation has stopped or you are definitely risking bottle bombs (BOOOOOM.) Do you have a hydrometer? What is the sg right now?

Cheers,
The Doctor

You're welcome!

You'll be fine to prime and bottle next week like you said. Enjoy the cider.

Back